• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Pedal Height

Black_Sheep

Super Commando
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
Due to a non-stock master cylinder and 4 hole to 2 hole master cylinder adapter I am using an adjustable master cylinder pushrod. Currently it seems like my brake pedal is a little too high, making the transition from the throttle to the brake pedal kind of awkward. Can someone with a stock brake system take a measurement from the toe board to the brake pedal for comparison?

Thanks in advance…

On my '68 Charger, the resting brake pedal is very close to the level of the accelerator.

If it helps, this is the measurement off my 69RR, original manual drum master & rod….7 1/2” from floorboard (no insulation or carpet thickness) to bottom of pedal pad. If u need anything else let me know….I enjoy following your posts….jim

1077ECEB-A114-4E96-9DAC-135846BCBDAE.jpeg

(EDIT)
keep in mind, the smaller the MC bore size, the lower the brake pedal will be towards the floor at full extension. (a 7/8" bore MC pedal travels farther than a pedal connected to a 1-1/8" bore MC)

Last edited:
If it helps, this is the measurement off my 69RR, original manual drum master & rod….7 1/2” from floorboard (no insulation or carpet thickness) to bottom of pedal pad. If u need anything else let me know….I enjoy following your posts….jim

View attachment 1602163

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

keep in mind, the smaller the MC bore size, the lower the brake pedal will be towards the floor at rest. (a 7/8" bore MC pedal sits lower than a pedal connected to a 1-1/8" bore MC)

The same MC has been on the car since I converted to Wilwood 4 piston calipers a year or so ago. The smaller bore provides higher pressure but requires more pedal travel, at least that’s been my experience. I don’t want the pedal awkwardly high or uncomfortably close to the floor with the brakes applied. It needs a bit of tweaking but I’ll find a happy medium now that I have a baseline…

I adjusted the pedal from 8.5” to 7.25”, the transition from the throttle to brake is a lot better.

IMG_9976.jpeg

Last edited:
keep in mind, the smaller the MC bore size, the lower the brake pedal will be towards the floor at rest. (a 7/8" bore MC pedal sits lower than a pedal connected to a 1-1/8" bore MC)
I don't think that is right. The pistons in the master cylinders all rest at the back of the housings.
What differs is that a larger bore master cylinder reacts in a much shorter travel distance due to the increased volume in each inch of stroke. A smaller bore unit has to travel further due to the decreased volume in each inch of stroke.
In most cases, a manual master cylinder setup does result in a pedal height off the floor a little higher than a power setup. I have 3 cars at home with manual 15/16" master cylinders and they all sit off the floor at least 1 1/2" higher than my power setup in my red car.

I don't think that is right. The pistons in the master cylinders all rest at the back of the housings.
What differs is that a larger bore master cylinder reacts in a much shorter travel distance due to the increased volume in each inch of stroke. A smaller bore unit has to travel further due to the decreased volume in each inch of stroke.
In most cases, a manual master cylinder setup does result in a pedal height off the floor a little higher than a power setup. I have 3 cars at home with manual 15/16" master cylinders and they all sit off the floor at least 1 1/2" higher than my power setup in my red car.
I concur. I had remembered it wrong. Smaller bore has longer travel distance so pedal at full extension is closer to the floor. Rest height is same.

First thing I noticed when I switched my Coronet to manual brakes was higher pedal at rest. All factory parts.

one day i might switch back to manual brakes. I used to drive a different older car with 4 wheel manual drums for 20 years and brake pedal feel and day to day stopping was excellent.

one day i might switch back to manual brakes. I used to drive a different older car with 4 wheel manual drums for 20 years and brake pedal feel and day to day stopping was excellent.
That day could be now. I have everything here to make that happen. (At no additional charge)

Auto Transport Service
Back