• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake shoe arching

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone still do brake shoe arching to shape the lining to the true radius of the brake drum to avoid high spots?

Truck shops still do it, and they might still have the ability to do car size brakes.

call around your area.

It is pretty important to do on 1960-1962 mopars center plane brakes.

Truck shops still do it, and they might still have the ability to do car size brakes.

call around your area.

Thanks for the tip.

Good luck with that! Cancer causing asbestos linings stopped that from sticking around too long.
Most of the equipment has been scrapped. You might find someone, but you better look for old shops.

Good luck with that! Cancer causing asbestos linings stopped that from sticking around too long.
Most of the equipment has been scrapped. You might find someone, but you better look for old shops.
Paulie,

Elmhurst Auto Parts on Spring Rd still does em!

I had the Dart's drums turned there. SUPER nice people and he even let me into the back to watch him turn the drums and bs with him.

I once had that done. What I got back looked like it had been done with a disk grinder !! I'm going to hazard a guess that new shoes on new drums are a pretty good fit. If you were replacing one without the other you might have issues but even then, the wear is mostly the shoes so new ones would still closely conform to the existing drums.

call around your area.

Educate me, what is a "center plane" brake vs anything else?

Spray glue some 60 grit paper to the inside of drums and get to shaping them yourself. After shaping switch to A finer grit to smooth out. Wear a respirator and gloves.

Educate me, what is a "center plane" brake vs anything else?
It's what the design is called on those cars. It is an oddball system that can be finicky. They can work good. Helps a bunch to have the shoes arced to the drum.

It's what the design is called on those cars. It is an oddball system that can be finicky. They can work good. Helps a bunch to have the shoes arced to the drum.
I have never heard that terminology used before, I am not aware of anything uniquely finicky with those brakes, and I would expect that with that labeling it would somehow relate somehow to the design in an intuitive way.

I need more education apparently. :lol:

Get a service manual and it has many photos and he service procedures. There is a good reason they stopped using it. LOL

Holy crap I just read through the bulletins etc, amazing how intricate they would get back then. A brake job would be a 2 day ordeal lol.

Spray glue some 60 grit paper to the inside of drums and get to shaping them yourself. After shaping switch to A finer grit to smooth out. Wear a respirator and gloves.
Actually, exactly what I did on my 67 Gtx , to set shoes to drum , as a kid at the Dodge house, we had the equipment to do this and was a common procedure, but with patience, the sand paper will work , just don’t over tighten them , adjust accordingly, little by little! Good luck! Make a world of difference and no grabbing!

Auto Transport Service
Back