• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake squealing / left pull issue?

Bleh... this is becoming an ordeal now lol.

How exactly can I get that seal back on properly? Do I have to replace the entire cylinder now?

Did the piston pop out? Looks like you spit fluid. Just push the piston and push rod back using your hand against the shoe. Rubber seal will go back on, but should be cleaned up. As I noted, your springs are in the wrong positions and need to be moved... and you may need to bleed the brakes when done. Did the drivers side pop too when you, shouldn't have, pushed the brake pedal?

Did the piston pop out? Looks like you spit fluid. Just push the piston and push rod back using your hand against the shoe. Rubber seal will go back on, but should be cleaned up. As I noted, your springs are in the wrong positions and need to be moved... and you may need to bleed the brakes when done. Did the drivers side pop too when you, shouldn't have, pushed the brake pedal?
It did not... I am trying to push the brake shoes in and they are not budging... unless I am misunderstanding. Also I will fix that spring issue.

Closer pic.

16051361270817679729613081041521.jpg

Roll the rubber forward off the wheel cylinder so you can see that the push rod is sitting in the pistons center.

Get in the car and LIFT up the brake pedal.. maybe it stayed down and fluid can't go back to the master cylinder.

Then try pushing the piston/rod back in, and then roll the rubber back into place.

What is this? Optical illusion? Or a clear sign of an out of round drum?
drum.jpg

Sorry if I'm being asinine. Just not really understanding. I can't get my fingers around the backside of the seal to reseat it, which is why I asked if I needed to remove the cylinder entirely. I'm trying to push the piston but it will not move.

16051369453547846233387914020302.jpg

Why after seeing fluid I asked if the piston popped out! It certainly did and is cocked in it's bore. It needs to be straightened up and it should go back, but you may have damaged it pending how hard you hit that pedal.

Pop the spring off, it's causing the piston to bind, the rubber cup seal is probably fine, once the piston slides back in it's bore slip the boot back over, make sure the pushrod is centered in the piston & connected to the brake shoe... Bleed that cylinder to be safe & it'll be fine....

Back to looking at that brake drum....

What kind of tool will I need to remove and set the spring back on? Going to store right now.

Just to make sure I'm clear. If I remove that spring, I pull the shoe off and re set that piston and seal, then reattach shoe and proper spring?

You can remove/install the spring with a pair of pliers/vise grips.... Yeah there are better tools but you don't need them... The shoe doesn't need to be removed, just the top return spring...

FWIW Cheap "brake tools" suck & unless you feel like spending $$$ pliers are fine...

It looks like it. You have the upper front (big/short) spring off already now to fix the piston. It should/looks to be of correct length to replace the adjuster lever spring. See if the spring that is currently on the adjuster is identical to the rear upper spring. If it is it belongs on the front upper location. Look at the illustration that MoparLeo posted.

Ok. Just waiting for a friend to help me since it is dark outside, then I will post update.

It looks like it. You have the upper front (big/short) spring off already now to fix the piston. It should/looks to be of correct length to replace the adjuster lever spring. See if the spring that is currently on the adjuster is identical to the rear upper spring. If it is it belongs on the front upper location. Look at the illustration that MoparLeo posted.

Lots of applications used a short spring on the leading shoe.... The bottom spring ends are shaped differently....

Possibly the case, but if his current adjuster spring matches the other long one his mechanic swapped them. I was going by Leo's FSM illustration when I advised him of this earlier, but noted going through pictures that my '70 Bird REAR brakes have a larger diameter/shorter spring on the front shoe.

Hopefully he can just get it all back together, bled and the drums swapped side to side...and it then stops straight!

Auto Transport Service
Back