• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake warning light

willem

Local time
6:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a brake warning light burning in my 1972 dodge coronet. It comes on when i turn the key, and stays on when i start the engine.
This light is connected to the brake proportioning valve isnt it? I tried taking the connector off that but the light keeps burning. also grounding the connector of the proportioning valve doesnt do anything. Does anyone have ideas what's going on here?

regards. Willem

Do you have a shop manual for your car? If so trace out that circuit you will find that it routes through the ebrake as well. Maybe that is triggering it. There is a switch on it too.

That brake light has a dual purpose. If your proportioning valve has an imbalance it will send a ground to your light via that wire. If you lifted it and the light stays on, you either have a short in that wire somewhere or you emergency brake switch is activated sending a ground to the light. My guess is that your emergency brake switch is stuck or the pedal is not coming back enough to turn it off.

ok thanks, i will check that switch this weekend, thanks!
How can i check the proper functioning of the proportioning valve by the way? I would like to know if that part of the brakes is okay

ok thanks, i will check that switch this weekend, thanks!
How can i check the proper functioning of the proportioning valve by the way? I would like to know if that part of the brakes is okay
With an Ohm meter. If it reads open (zero ohms) between the stud and ground, it is ok. I doubt there is a problem with it since you lifted the wire off and still have the light on. I bet your emergency brake is not releasing all the way causing the problem. You should be able to tell right away if it is not pushing the switch in when released. Here is a pic of the switch on my car. You can see it is pushed in breaking the ground contact. Yours will have a wire plugged into that switch going to the light.

EM BK sw.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back