• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Break in question for a 440-512cui Stroker Build with a billet hydraulic roller cam

Moparjack 489

Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
If I should use a „ TB Zinc-Plus“ ( like von Lucas Oil) for the engine break in or not?

I know it’s „ normally „ only a must have for break in a flat tappet cam , but in near future my 512 Stroker build are finish , and some friend tell me „don’t forget to use this „ Zinc add“ on the first start ( break in) also by a hydraulic roller cam it’s good to use“ even it is not absolutely necessary ….

Other friend say“ you don’t use them by a hydraulic roller cam break in“ …..

So, I’m not an engine expert, and only would like to know is it a good idea to use it on a hydraulic roller break in too, or better not ??

Just FYI: I not waste money for them, because I still have 3 brand new bottles in my garage, because before my engine run like a 440 with a flat tappet cam and I use it by the break in and also on each oil change I add one bottle to the new oil .

Also what oil you recommend for a engine like this? Minerale / half or only full synthetic ?
We like to try first a 5W- 30 and look the oil pressure are enough , if not we change to 10W-30

Motor have „more good tight „ clearance „ and build with the follow parts :

TFS-61617801-C00 Heads​

With

440 Source Stroker Kit 440-512cui
+

COMP Cams Evolution Series Hydraulic Roller Lifters 89211-16​

and a

Howards Cams Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 723445-08​

Plus the

Harland Sharp Heavy-Duty Roller Rockers S70016KE​

Thank you in advance and
Best regards Steffen

Mj, your build sounds quite a bit like my engine. My Builder strongly recommends Valvoline VF-1, 10W-30, and He's had Extensive Experience on a Major US Race Circuit.

I do not like those Comp roller lifters. Should have used Howard’s for your roller lifters but that’s neither here or there. Heres some literature. Even though it’s a roller motor, which is what I have also. I used Driven break in oil. At the current time I have 15 50 in it but I’m making the switch to Conventional 10 40 Driven. I would run 10/40.

0E04C394-2A67-4010-A2F0-ABE7F0301ADA.png

7E3DE052-42E8-46CF-891E-BF7681D74658.jpeg

Last edited:
Lucas oil tell‘s me today also for first break in ( driven a little around not over 3500 rpm) have to use a break in oil 30wt, after change this oil to a 20/50 Racing zinc oil .

He say also if I drive a 5W/30 the engine will damage very quickly ….

So , seems like many different opinions from people to people .

W
^^^^^This. Use mineral oil for break in. Why? You mean Minerale or special „ break in oil , ? Anyone think a oil like the Lucas oil with high zinc is recommend for a roller engine like mine ?

Yes , mineral oil is conventional oil.
The Lucas with zinc is fine.

The only reason to run lower levels of parts per million of zddp (zinc) in the oil is to prevent catalytic converter damage/early inefficiency. So no catalytic converter no problem with higher zinc in your oil, not sky high, but higher than a new car requires is fine. It protects non pressure lubed surfaces against low lube times (not a lot of splashing going on, like low rpm), by basically building up a layer (microscopic level), then the layer wears in low splash lube times instead of the part. This is why it is critical at start up on a flat tappet to rev engine, need the splash to build up layer on the new parts.

The only reason to run lower levels of parts per million of zddp (zinc) in the oil is to prevent catalytic converter damage/early inefficiency. So no catalytic converter no problem with higher zinc in your oil, not sky high, but higher than a new car requires is fine. It protects non pressure lubed surfaces against low lube times (not a lot of splashing going on, like low rpm), by basically building up a layer (microscopic level), then the layer wears in low splash lube times instead of the part. This is why it is critical at start up on a flat tappet to rev engine, need the splash to build up layer on the new parts.
How much is too much? I mean roller motors aren’t supposed to need it but I still run Driven but Lucas has way more Zinc in their oil.

So, now I decide and hope it’s okay, to use a real break in oil the BR40 from Driven and after will try a good conventional ( mineral based ) like the HR 5 10W-40 Oil from Driven or the HR6 full synthetic oil from Driven .

What you guys want drive in an engine like mine , Minerale based like the HR5 oil or synthetic oil like the HR6 oil

, any recommendations or experience ?

Last edited:
So, now I decide and hope it’s okay, to use a real break in oil the BR40 from Driven and after will try a good conventional ( mineral based ) like the HR 5 10W-40 Oil from Driven or the HR6 full synthetic oil from Driven .

What you guys want drive in an engine like mine , Minerale based like the HR5 oil or synthetic oil like the HR6 oil

I’m going to run HR5 after I put a few Miles on the 15w 50 driven. I wish they’d still make the 10w 40 VR1. I run the 10w30 VR1 In my boys 83 Monte SS

I’m going to run HR5 after I put a few Miles on the 15w 50 driven. I wish they’d still make the 10w 40 VR1. I run the 10w30 VR1 In my boys 83 Monte SS
So, if I understand right , you use the break in oil in 15W50 viscosity, right ? Main’s clearance on mine are about .003“ so I think I’m ok with the 10W-40 break in oil . After running on stand and some miles up to 400 I choose now the HR6 oil .

So, if I understand right , you use the break in oil in 15W50 viscosity, right ? Main’s clearance on mine are about .003“ so I think I’m ok with the 10W-40 break in oil . After running on stand and some miles up to 400 I choose now the HR6 oil .
I’m sorry. I don’t remember what viscosity my driven breakout oil was. My engine builder put it in there and then I changed it out and put conventional 15w50 in it but all it has is tuning time on it. After I read the articles about the 10w40 and roller lifters I’m switching it out and my engine is very very quiet for a roller motor, even with 15w 50 I’ll have to ask him what my clearances was and the breakout oil viscosity.

The hyd rollers are very temperamental to the oil viscosity. Wouldn’t run anything heavier than driven 10w-40. It’s the centistoke rating of the oil that messes with them. I just built a big block Chevy with a hyd roller for a buddy. I kept the clearances a little tighter in the bottom end than I normally would just so I could run the lighter oil. Driven seems to be a good oil for them as well. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Chris Straub about this.

Auto Transport Service
Back