• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broke my 7UP Pop Machine today....

Yep one side, but we're blowing the rest totally apart on Wednesday... :BangHead: :rolleyes:

I had a feeling that this would happen. Projects like this have a funny way of creeping into something more extensive and expensive. Welcome to the club.

The big old can of worms rears its ugly head again, one thing always leads to another for me on stuff like this as well. Really is the only way to go about it with a car like that imo. It would have bothered me to no end to have 1/3 of the car in new paint and the rest, what, 20 years old?

Look on the bright side now - there will be no problems with paint match!

Certainly will help. Did they mix enough for project creep? Or did you have to go back for more? I had two gallons of base. And my man still managed to misplace it. Three attempts later, we were good!:BangHead:
My trunk cover had 4 resprays. Long stories. But she's on. I think your man Wayne is better organized.

I'm not real happy about it. I've said for 30+ years that I will never restore this car. After the 2nd failed paint match attempt George tried to convince me to strip the entire car to make life easier so he no longer had to be spot on, and "besides you want me to fix the right lower below the body line anyhow". I said stick to the plan, no mission creep.... I don't have time for this before Spring, nor do I want to put more funds into the car.

So one side is all pretty and the rest looks so so.... like it always has. It photographs well, but there's places you have always been able to see sanding marks under the paint on the hood, there's dings, chips and a few blisters here and there ...so I gave in yesterday to strip the entire car to metal, fix anything found and paint the rest with George doing something he's never done before and guaranteeing a maximum cost or less. I have doubts that it'll be less.

I have to be there tomorrow 8 AM sharp for a full day or more of pulling the nose, it's components, the other wing upright, door glass, plymouth letters on the tail panel etc. Hell I'll probably be over there more than one day and I'm supposed to be doing 3 corporate tax returns before the end of the week... not driving an hour each way to work!

Does he have storage capability? Might want bring over a few shelving units. Had to do that at Roger's trying to keep things organized. Easier said then done. Man the trips I made carting things home. Trying to keep things in order. Your trailer might come in handy. For storage that is. Seeing how this was just thrusted on you.
Like you said, you just got hired on. How far to the shop? Mine was 77 km round trip. almost 50 miles. I made the trek four times one day.
Adds up. Not to mention the coffee!!
Good luck Wayne.

You know that car deserves it, I know its a tough one but just dont let it happen again!

I'm supposed to be doing 3 corporate tax returns before the end of the week...
I know that pain.

bang head.gif

Thats easy access to go ahead and pull the motor and tranny to freshen up any leaky gaskets.

Might as well blow it apart and throw in on the rotisserie since you are this far. @threewood is already trying to talk you into pulling the motor....

Dan throwing the latch and striker back on the drivers door so we don't have it swinging around.
superbirdfullpaint1 017.jpg

Latch tray out.
superbirdfullpaint1 019.jpg

Full nose off.
superbirdfullpaint1 024.jpg

Fender scoops coming off.
superbirdfullpaint1 028.jpg

Fender extensions coming off before we snag one and bend them.
superbirdfullpaint1 029.jpg

Just a Road Runner again..
superbirdfullpaint1 034.jpg

How the factory painted the interior of the door. No point wasting paint where the door card goes.
superbirdfullpaint1 036.jpg

Perfect cart.
superbirdfullpaint1 038.jpg

As far as I wanted to break the nose down.
superbirdfullpaint1 039.jpg

Then we found it would be impossible to do body and paint on the nose with the headlight buckets in place.
superbirdfullpaint1 040.jpg

The other parts table is growing.
superbirdfullpaint1 047.jpg

Just a plain jane Road Runner now with '70 Dodge Coronet fenders.
superbirdfullpaint1 049.jpg

Oh boy..
superbirdfullpaint1 050.jpg

Boxes and boxes of parts
superbirdfullpaint1 053.jpg

Vacuum lines coming apart and figuring out how these headlight buckets are held in.
superbirdfullpaint1 055.jpg

Thought I'd better grab a measurement.
superbirdfullpaint1 061.jpg

Headlight bucket springs that are meant to raise them if the vacuum fails. I've never had them hooked up as I prefer they stay down.
superbirdfullpaint1 065.jpg

Wasn't any fun, but we've got one bucket out.
superbirdfullpaint1 067.jpg

Now I can get the wiring harness off.
superbirdfullpaint1 069.jpg

Working on the second bucket.
superbirdfullpaint1 081.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back