• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bucket lists...you have one?

patrick66

Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
My oldest brother lost his wife to dementia a few years back. Not the way I wanna go! He's a retired truck driver with 34 years OTR as an owner-operator. He calls me up back in November, and we're talking about travelling and such. I've been wanting to go back up to Alaska for 40+years, as that was my first USAF assignment and I loved it there! My wife requires 80 degrees or she isn't happy. So, my brother says "Let's go to Alaska!" We discussed it, and I got hold of my friend, who is a travel agent. She hooked my brother and I up with a cruise to Alaska! OK, that works for me! I have the money to go. My bro - likewise! His bucket list is Alaska, Hawai'i, Australia, and Key West...all this year! Oh, and roam the US in his new truck and fifth wheel camper. His theory is that he has nothing tying him down. You can't take it with you, as we all know. Travel until he's dead, probably. Do what our Dad wanted so badly to do in his seventies, but health issues slammed that door hard on him.

I plan to try both zip-lining and parachuting this Summer. A 150-mph high-speed open-highway pursuit (and getting away!) would be fun! Knowing my luck, I'd get caught, get 20 years, and be in perfect health for that.

Right now, Alaska is my current trip plan. My wife wants to go to Bora Bora and Australia, as do I. Those might well happen in '24, if things go according to plan. Work one more year, then toss it in and retire fully. Sell everything and downsize by 90%. Do all of this while my health and my wife's health make it possible. The phrase "He who dies with the most toys..." doesn't win ****, but DOES leave his family to sort through what meant a lot to you, but means little to nothing to them.

Back to the question - what's on YOUR bucket list?

Last edited:
I don’t have a formal list written down and displayed in a prominent location where I see it regularly, but do have a mental list. I had a health emergency a couple years ago, and turned 60 last year, so getting to do some of these things is on my mind more.
l‘ve had this idea for awhile I’d like to get a seaplane rating added to my pilots license, and I’ve always wanted to visit Alaska, so I’d like to combine the two things, go to Alaska and have training scheduled so I can earn the seaplane rating while there.
l‘ve wanted to own a hemi car since I was a teen, probably need to figure that out in the near future.
There‘s others, my main roadblocks now is that I find the older I get, the less I find anyone wants to do anything. It’s sad and sometimes strikes me as pathetic, but most everyone I know either can’t or won’t go more than a few miles from home anymore. Getting anyone interested in driving to a swap meet for the day is hard, to a concert all but impossible at this point for a few examples. Really has me scratching my head often, so many guys just want to sit at home for the next 10 or 20 years marking off the days on a calendar until they die I guess.

Sounds kinda weird, but I want to wander the country of Ireland for a month and live out a bunch of Irish songs.

Not sure it's a real bucket list

yeah;
to "Have enough of my own hard earned $$ (invested) left, to survive all my years"
(the way the economy 'inflation' is going, it's eating it up at a 25% higher rate)

I pretty much, already went there, saw it & done it, did that already
most everywhere I wanted to visit already
I've seen most all of North America
what I wanted to, some places I couldn't care any less to ever see...
I've done it, in my younger years, (semi-retired at 38) with no regrets,
glad I did it, when I did, many times with kids & dogs too...

Done the RV crap, IMHFO it's way, way over rated...
I don't want to put my *** thru that torture again...

(have no desire to see, most places abroad)

maybe go to New Zealand, might be fun,
not a huge fan of flying (or doing a cruise ship) anywhere anymore
at one time I wanted to go to Australia, not now
I no longer have any interest in Europe/Eurasia, or Africa
or even Canada & Mexico, both I used to go often
at one time I wanted to go to South Africa, South America/Brazil, but not now
so much to see in America, why leave (? that's rhetorical)

I'm truly content being a homebody now,
I go fishing, hunting, shooting, cruising, wheeling, skiing, golfing (not much of late)
I rarely leave the county, I'm ok with that too...
Life is good...
Blood pressure stays low that way too :poke:
I do as I want, usually...

A couple of guns I'd like to get still, but I'm too frugal...

I'd like a TRX Rebel 1500, but not for $75k-$100k+
I'm not sure on any cars otherwise, finish my damn RR,
not have to do **** over, change my mind, so it will never be done
repaint it "again"

take that **** one day at a time, be happier for it too

Last edited:
1. Bucket for cleaning cars
2. Bucket for mixing plaster
3. Bucket for washing plastering tools.
4. Bucket for garage trash.

That's my list.

I also don't have a formal bucket list . I'd like to sail solo across Lake Michigan .
Progress enough with my diving to get "Tri Mix" certified to dive to 300' . There are some awesome shipwrecks in Lake Superior deeper than what I can safely dive now .
Next spring my wife is treating us to England . While there we plan on spending several days on the Isle of Mann ,during the motorcycle races .

There‘s others, my main roadblocks now is that I find the older I get, the less I find anyone wants to do anything. It’s sad and sometimes strikes me as pathetic, but most everyone I know either can’t or won’t go more than a few miles from home anymore. Getting anyone interested in driving to a swap meet for the day is hard, to a concert all but impossible at this point for a few examples. Really has me scratching my head often, so many guys just want to sit at home for the next 10 or 20 years marking off the days on a calendar until they die I guess.
I was fortunate to get the travel out of my system when I was younger, both in the truck, and later during my corporate tour. The aging process sure doesn't make it easier, and I detest air travel.

The Hemi car was on my bucket list as well, and I cut it a little close, but got it done two years ago, thanks to this site. Worth the wait, but I checked it off, and moved on. When the car that started it all 52 years ago fell into my lap last September, my list was complete, and I retired, no vehicle could top that one in my book, felt no need to chase more. I probably worked longer than I should have, but I don't regret it.

Good point about folks not venturing out. My circle is a bit younger than me, which helps; I was starting to be a drag on them. Got back in the game last year when I bit the bullet and started using mobility aids in public, now I can cover five miles a day at a big event like Carlisle. At 69, my goal now is to maintain current activities as long as possible, nothing new.

Last edited:
Submit & I did the Alaska cruise 5 1/2 years ago and absolutely loved it! Last may we flew to Hawaii and took a cruise to the different islands and that was very nice also. Out of the two trips, Alaska was by far the best vacation that we have taken & I would do that again. You're going to love it!

We took the kids to Key West about 10 years ago (or so) and we plan to do that trip again without the kids.

I don't have any kind of formal list per se, just a few things I'd like to get done before checking out.
First was retiring, best move yet.

Travel abroad does not interest me whatsoever.

I have to set foot in Nebraska, it's the only state of the lower 48 which I've not traveled through with a camper. I have an RV and am not afraid to use it, but so far there is no draw- is there really anything in Nebraska to see?

I would like to attend more major Mopar Shows. I've been to the Nationals several times, MATS in Vegas a few times, Moparty in Bowling Green, and Carlisle every year.

Last would be aquire a 67 Coronet R/T convertible. Blue w/white top & interior, 4 spd. OK, a little specific, but it's my list. The 401 could be endangered if the right car shows up.

Like anything else in life, the list is subject to change at any moment.

I don't have much on my Bucket list but I do have quite a few things on my F***-it list.

If I had a bucket, then I might kick it. :eek:

I would like to give a car away to a inner city kids shelter or orphanage as part of a local auction to their fundraising efforts. Ebay maybe? I have some local contacts to TV news affiliates that I'm sure would do some coverage. Not Barrett Jackson or Mercum level as they promote themselves. And that donation must remain anonymous.

I'm not sure why I have a growing interest in mentoring and/or even philanthropy as I got older. Maybe it's inherent to most of us. (Just wish I had the assets to be highly impactful.) But a single car? And the car of course would have to have some sought after interests. I could do that.

I think that would rock!

We have been very lucky because my wife is a retired flight attendant and we have travelled a lot, first on her layovers, and then using travel industry discounts. We just got back from a cruise to Antarctica. It was on her bucket list, not mine, but neat to have seen. We had a good friend die on a cruise a few weeks before we were leaving, and others developing health issues that stop them from traveling. We will keep it up as long as we can.

I'd like to be in a car that can do a wheelie. I'd like to see the Aurora Borealis. Travel doesn't interest me. Everything I save or invest in, including cars is so I can leave it to my kids. If they would rather sell the cars rather than keep them that's fine. I hope they get a good price and my investment pays off.

Kind of think the term is overated. I understand doing what you like while still healthy enough to do it though. Wish I had started earlier. We could go anywhere on the Globe tomorrow. Don’t care. No foreign travel for me. I’d rather be low on gas on 66 in the Coronet. Again. I’ll spend the kids
inheritance on cars and travel in the lower 48. So much yet to see. Had a boss once who often raved about the “south of France. Asked her about the Grand Canyon. She had never been there. Jesus Chrysler! Call me narrow. Don’t care. U S A!

I don’t have a formal list either, but since I was young I always wanted to visit Normandy and follow my Uncles path from Omaha to the Ardennes and the Battle of the Bulge. He made it home and told many story’s of his time! It usually took a few beers to get him talking though!

But with travel and crazy times, who knows if I’ll get to do it?

I’ll spend the kids inheritance on cars and travel in the lower 48. So much yet to see. Had a boss once who often raved about the “south of France. Asked her about the Grand Canyon. She had never been there. Jesus Chrysler! Call me narrow. Don’t care. U S A!

I feel the same way. There is so much to see in this country and it's easy. Same language, food and currency. I really don't have much of a desire to go to Europe, although one of those Viking river cruises looks kind of interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back