• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bucket Seat Modification

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking to obtain higher back seats for my '63 Fury ragtop. Part of this has to do with neck surgery a few years ago and doc saying I might not do well if someone crashes into my backside. I installed original era buckets some years back replacing the bench and Legendary did the refurbishing. What would be great is high backs to connect to the original seat bottoms but may be pie in the sky. If anyone has done any modifications or other seats that fit well in the car would be great to hear.

Some seats have the adjustable "slide rod" head rest I remember those coming out in the late 60's and of course many models have had them since. Wonder if this addition could be made on the original seat backs without looking weird. Could be the original backs are lower where this sort of thing wouldn't fly. The dozens of bucket seats I've looked at are all considerably narrower 21-22" whereas the stock buckets I have are 24" wide.

See if you can find an early to mid 80's Dodge 400, 600, or K convertible.

They have seats with adjustable head rests that look very similar to 67-69 B body seats.

In fact the stitching is almost the same as 67 Coronet.

...and they recline.

I've never seen black, but they did come in red, white, blue and tan.

Thanks much for the tip! A few years ago likely to be found at many bone yards but lots of those probably have met the crusher by now. I'll do a search though.

Auto Transport Service
Back