• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Budget hifi hidden stereo install

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, thought I'd share what I've been working on these past couple of weeks. Been wanting some tunes without a visible head unit and without breaking the bank. And I'm kind of an audio geek, so it had to sound good. So I decided to skip the head unit entirely and put a smal EQ in the glove box.

Went with a Precision Power E.DZ for the EQ. Great reviews for a budget EQ ($45 delivered). I used the supplied brackets to lift it up for air circulation and just used some velcro to keep it in place. Fits great.

Bought a USED HiFonics HFi55.4 4 channel amp. $65 and it works great. Mounted it with velcro and some firm door and window rubber insulation foam for a removable, cushioned and level base. Didn't want to screw into the trunk floor and have rot issues down the road.

Rear speakers - used Polk DXi6500 components. Haven't mounted em yet. Got em for $29 delivered!

Fronts I went with Pioneer A series 5-1/4, 4 ways. Decided to temp mount em in the kick panels, as the magnets are a bit deep and needed to measure for some spacers, which are on order. I had planned on putting component tweeters up in the corners of the windshield but read they'd be too bright over on caraudio.com. Got em used for $29 delivered!

Then I just ran a 10 ft iPod cable to under the passenger seat and can change songs from the drivers seat. Tucks away when not in use.

Coolest trick was this - downloaded FrequenSee, a free spectrum analyzer ap, and googled a free white noise generator. Played the white noise through the system, used the the ap to adjust the EQ to balance the frequencies. Then I just fine tuned to my ear and am rockin some Sabbath as I type.

Hifi and hidden for $170 in equipment plus about $40 in cable.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

That is bad a$$! I am looking for the same set up...

I was also lamenting a decent audio environment...

I just put a Pioneer 4400 series head unit in both my Dakota and my Satellite.

I'm lovin' the USB with adjustable input level, the tunable display colors (to match dash) and the intuitive interface.

15/40 WPC is almost as loud as I'd like it before it breaks up, but I can add an amp or two down the road.

Dakota has Pyle 6x9s in the rear factory 6x8 locations and Pioneer 5 1/4s up front with the factory infinity tweeters wired in in place of the Pioneer coax tweeter.

Satellite has the same Pioneer 5 1/4s up front, but a custom box wedged between the axle hum and package tray with Goldwood heavy magnet 10's with rubber surrounds and passive crossovers hooked to Tang Band soft dome tweeters in 2.5" square boxes mounted above the package tray. That box for sure needs an amp!

I'm probably going to buy the same deck for the wife's car, too. She's excited about the music library (she heard Gary Moore "End Of The World" today and LOVED it) and they'll all have the same interface.

NICE!
Just actually saw a fairly awesome amp, has built in bluetooth, so it makes it easy to skip the headunit and the iPod/iPhone cable altogether...

Yeah, I saw you mention that bluetooth amp on the other thread. That thing looks GREAT, shame I bought my amp like a week before I read that.

Hey YY1 Do you have any pictures of your install? I like the sound so it and want to do something similar in my car.

Good thread. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Good thread. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

me too Meep.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all, thought I'd share what I've been working on these past couple of weeks. Been wanting some tunes without a visible head unit and without breaking the bank. And I'm kind of an audio geek, so it had to sound good. So I decided to skip the head unit entirely and put a smal EQ in the glove box.

Went with a Precision Power E.DZ for the EQ. Great reviews for a budget EQ ($45 delivered). I used the supplied brackets to lift it up for air circulation and just used some velcro to keep it in place. Fits great.

Bought a USED HiFonics HFi55.4 4 channel amp. $65 and it works great. Mounted it with velcro and some firm door and window rubber insulation foam for a removable, cushioned and level base. Didn't want to screw into the trunk floor and have rot issues down the road.

Rear speakers - used Polk DXi6500 components. Haven't mounted em yet. Got em for $29 delivered!

Fronts I went with Pioneer A series 5-1/4, 4 ways. Decided to temp mount em in the kick panels, as the magnets are a bit deep and needed to measure for some spacers, which are on order. I had planned on putting component tweeters up in the corners of the windshield but read they'd be too bright over on caraudio.com. Got em used for $29 delivered!

Then I just ran a 10 ft iPod cable to under the passenger seat and can change songs from the drivers seat. Tucks away when not in use.

Coolest trick was this - downloaded FrequenSee, a free spectrum analyzer ap, and googled a free white noise generator. Played the white noise through the system, used the the ap to adjust the EQ to balance the frequencies. Then I just fine tuned to my ear and am rockin some Sabbath as I type.

Hifi and hidden for $170 in equipment plus about $40 in cable.

View attachment 166661

That's sounds like a great setup HT413 .. can you show a pic of the drivers kick panel placement?

- - - Updated - - -

I might have to finally break down and get one of those fancy phones when the time comes for putting in the jams trooper :)

That's sounds like a great setup HT413 .. can you show a pic of the drivers kick panel placement?

Thanks, tallhair. Yeah, I'll get a pic up today. Speakers are still only temporarily mounted, I decided since I'll be making my own fiberglass fan shroud soon enough (thread to come soon!), I might try my hand on some custom kick panels as well.

Any updates, I'm also thinking about adding some speakers to the kick panels, but not sure it will work on the drivers side without some spacers.

Auto Transport Service
Back