• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build date compared to engine build date

Lakefraul

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
Hello, First time writing. I have had my car since 1985. I have never started it. The original owner was a neighbor who used to race the car at Milen Dragway in Milen,Michigan. The details on having the car for 37 years and not even starting it goes on and on, too much to list.
The car, a 1970 Plymouth GTX w/ an original 426 Hemi/ 727 automatic has 24,999 miles.
I try not to talk about the car much because it gets old trying to explain why it is not complete.
My question of many is the broadcast sheet shows a December 10, 1969 build date.
The one thing that is missing on the car is correct exhaust manifolds. There are a pair on ebay but the dates are December 11,1969 and a 1970 date.
My question, does the build date mean the day it rolled off the assembly line?
This is the first pair of exhaust manifolds I have found that are close in dates.
Sorry for the drawn out thread but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to FBBO. You should say hello in the Welcome Wagon and show us some photos of that Hemi GTX.

"Technically" I would say that if your build date is Dec '69, and the manifolds are 69-70, that would be "period correct", but I'm sure others will chime in with better details.

What is the date code of the block and intake manifold?

The cars scheduled production date is just a guess, when the paper work started. In the case of some cars like the A12 cars it wasn't even that. It was just a number. You need to go by your engine build date if you want to get fussy with date correct engine parts. In the case of your 70 hemi it would be on the oil pan rail at the back of the engine

SPD is approximate. As an FYI my '69 Bee's SPD is Feb 25th, my engine wasn't built until the 27th and my exhaust manifold was cast on the 28th!

Show is some pictures of that beast!

IMG-0439.JPG
IMG-0440.JPG
IMG-0442.JPG
What is the date code of the block and intake manifold?
Where on the block is the date? The number that is stamped on the body is stamped on the block near the bottom

Welcome to FBBO. You should say hello in the Welcome Wagon and show us some photos of that Hemi GTX.

"Technically" I would say that if your build date is Dec '69, and the manifolds are 69-70, that would be "period correct", but I'm sure others will chime in with better details.
thanks

It is under the starter beside the oil pan. The assembly date is the first four digits after the 426. It is a 10,000 day calendar date and may differ from any other date stamped there, as is shown in this case.
Screenshot_20220513-151000.png

It is under the starter beside the oil pan. The assembly date is the first four digits after the 426. It is a 10,000 day calendar date and may differ from any other date stamped there, as is shown in this case.View attachment 1284458
I do have a photo of that number. I am going to go over to the car and get a few more clear photos tomorrow. Thanks

And it's a -2 block, virgin casting, no core shift, strong as they get!! Score!

When a virgin sand casting is made, there is the casting part number, then a hyphen, then a 1. My uncle told me that on V-8 engines, it's a -2 because of the 2 banks. After a couple blocks, one of the cylinders will collapse. It is rebuilt, and the number is changed to -3. After another cylinder repair it becomes -4, and so forth.

When a virgin sand casting is made, there is the casting part number, then a hyphen, then a 1. My uncle told me that on V-8 engines, it's a -2 because of the 2 banks. After a couple blocks, one of the cylinders will collapse. It is rebuilt, and the number is changed to -3. After another cylinder repair it becomes -4, and so forth.
Thank you, there sure is a wealth of knowledge on this site.

Welcome aboard! There is a ton of info on this site and a ton of characters as well so you're in for a good time here! Here's a timeline of my car

Scheduled Production Date: Monday January 22, 1968

Lower Back Seat Assembly Tag: 1/8/67

Engine Cast Date: 5-17-67. Day Shift, Cast During 2nd Hour of Shift

Drivers Side Head Cast Date: 12-29-67, 2nd Shift

Starter Relay: 52 7 = 52nd Week Of 1967

Horn Relay: Tuesday, January 2, 1968

Passenger Side Head Cast Date: 01-05-68, 2nd Shift

Windshield Wiper Motor: Monday, January 8, 1968

Front Seat Assembly Tags: 1/4/68 & 1/15/68

Transmission Built: Wednesday, January 17, 1968

Door Panels: 1/16/68, 1/18/68 & 1/22/68

Engine Assembly Date: 1 23 = Assembled Jan 23, 1968, 2nd Shift

Alternator: 6Th Week of 1968.

Agree with above. Scheduled build date is exactly that, scheduled. Doesn't mean it happened ON schedule.
A12 69 Sixpack Bees and RR, only had two scheduled build dates. I guarantee some 7000 Sixpack bees and runners were not only built on those two dates.
A couple manifolds within a couple days of spd wouldn't bother me a bit.
Now, a couple months or years, that's different......

Auto Transport Service
Back