• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build it or Part it?

I am a sucker for punishment but I have to say that unless it is/was something truly rare or important, its a lost cause. that said, it would be a decent donor for an actual rare or important car that has a lot of cancer. I am doing a 70 RR right now and while it was a base 383 AT manual steering manual brakes car, it is in one piece for the most part. Even this car continues to try my patience, but I do love 70 RRs so I will forge on and yes I will be under water when done but I don't care.

Of course the other option is to hang onto it, pick up pieces along the way and who knows, you might one day have enough to put together or someone else may want to. If it isn't bothering you, let it sit.

Last note one the subject; your car, your money, your time; ergo your decision regardless of what everyone says here.

peal it for it good parts that are left , i think an ad on this site could just get rid of what your not got to use . maybe it might fix some members dodge or plymouth 440 , 440 6pck or even hemi car with damage to their bodies that need pieces from yours they don't repo . could save another ride from being parted out .

Absolutely a ward of the state once issued a new tag from them...super hard to unload. Parts car.

That's an awful big undertaking to end up with a car that will always have an asterisk and a "but" with a lot of fine print associated with it.

Try this on-

Guy at car show "Roadrunner, huh? What's the VIN RM21 or RM23?"

Me- "FL-189003725156"

This has been bothering me all night-

Does anyone here disagree that a car with a VIN that does not start with "RM" is NOT a Road Runner?

If not, I'd like my red x's removed please.

If it was born a road runner it will die a road runner-----vin tag be dammed

if it was born a RR and retained it's legal VIN, I'd agree with you

My post said "technically" which in this case also means legally.

If the OP wants to hang it on his wall and claim he owns a Roadrunner, than yes, but to title it.....technically it's not an RR without an RM VIN any more than an RH Satellite with RR stripes is.

What condition is the passenger rear frame rail in and will it fit a 68 charger? Are you interested the selling the rear frame rail and ship it?

I have to say up front that this whole "what is it" discussion has gone off the rails and is a bit ridiculous. That said (and for discussion sake), if it is not a RR, then what is it?

400 bucks into that parts car is ok I think. Do not build that body. We forbid it. Lol. Just kidding. If I was you and really wanted a RR clone. Go find a clean granny satellite with a 318 and 904 trans and build that. Be way way cheaper after that shell (if we can call it that) has 100 dollar billed you to death.

So, some say it’s not worth much. It’s a car that will not be produced ever again. Once it’s cut up completely another of the greatest cars is GONE. I remember seeing the Cuda that AMD had on display at Carlisle a few years back, almost ever piece was replaced and I think the asking price was 30 grand. So what’s the difference between the two other than an vin, still a “made in the backyard car”. After a time vins really don’t mean much except to the museum cars anyway. Say you found a 32 Ford 3 window, are you really going to worry about a vin? Just my opinion
Might add, those numbers on the radiator support is the all the proof you need to say ROAD RUNNER.

While it may not seem like it, at some point even cars in this condition are not going to exist as they will all be parted out. Don't see anyone looking to repop RR bodies, so if you wanted to build one you will be relegated to buying something nicer to do. I recently saw a picture from Carlisle which showed a row of E body steering columns for sale in the swap meet area. Had to have been 30+ columns and all I could think about "these represent 30+ cars that have been scrapped, I wonder how unique some of them were". Once they are gone, they are gone. This would be a great car for a high school auto body shop or something similar to teach a new generation how a car is built from the ground up.

While there might be some hand wringing over the loss of another road runner, there's also the other side of the coin where the parts from this shell could help another persons car become resurrected. Every old parts car that gets saved means fewer parts available for other projects. Something has to be used as a donor, this looks like a good candidate.

That is very true, however there are probably a lot more satellites our there available as parts cars than actual roadrunners. Not at all trying to be argumentative, just saying that since the parts are interchangeable, wouldn't it be better to save a RR shell and potentially build a car out of it rather than scrap it. I don't have a dog in the fight myself as I already have my RR, but I think its an interesting conversation. I certainly can see both sides.

I have been swayed by 70chall440 comments. I to have my own 69 RR(that will never be for sale as long as it remains in the trust it's in) and would fix it no matter what shape it gets to before I start it. I say buy it. Store it correctly. Be a caregiver to this RR and try to either restore it or at least keep it in it's present condition for a young man or woman in the future with the means.

Auto Transport Service
Back