• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build My Big Block

You can absolutely build your engine for well under 5k ... my 383 was under 4k and that includes machine work, aluminum heads/ manifold/ water pump and housing, new cam, timing cousin, balancer, flywheel, oil pan, misc crap.... and of course the bill Hirsh paint ! ... I can't see a 440 being much higher ...

I'm concerned you may end up with 2 engines you don't really want, instead of just the one you have now. I would recommend spending as little as possible to get the engine you have now sorted out, or spend your 5k and build the engine you really want. Would it not be a good idea to pull the engine you have now and inspect it, then you know where you are at, and can decide where you want to go? Does this not make sense, especially it you are on a budget? Maybe use the block you have now if it checks out, bore it out the next size.If you pull your engine, pull the heads then calculate your deck height before pulling your pistons, and see if your decks are square and what height they are at. perhaps your decks don't need any machine work. No need to use mls gaskets either. If your mains look good and there is no sign of cap walk, no need to spend money there.

A 500 stroker kit, thats balanced, and includes rings, bearings, and the 2618 pistons you want--$2200

Don't bother with either set of your open chamber heads? New Aluminum heads--$1000

If the cam and lifters you have now are good use them, if your using the same block re-use the lifters . You have adjustable rocker arms already , consider running a solid cam with edm lifters? is it a noise issue for long trips? -$-0

stock rocker arm setup--Free to $50

Head gaskets, oil pan gaskets ect, stroker windage tray, balancer pulley--$400.

Machine work--bore and hone, clean, mag particle, sonic,? --hard to say -$1200? get some quotes, probably way less expensive for machine work where you are then where I am.

total--$4850??

whats missing?

You already have an intake, carbs,water pump, distributor, wires ect, stuff that adds up and eats into an engine build cost big time.

Just some thoughts.

Auto Transport Service
Back