• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build Thread- 64 Fury Convertible

We've also made progress on the 64 !! Sh'es at the Muffler shop now getting exhaust !!! Hood and fenders are back on, Wheels and tires are on for exhaust. All the dash is wired and done, still need to wire Radio, Console, & door switches etc etc, but all the turn signals, Brake lights, back up lights etc etc are all working !! I actually drove her up and down the road before loading her on the Trailer....felt really good !! After exhaust is done, Ill put the roller tires back on and she's off to the Body Shop !!!!!!
_nc_ohc=ICe2AEwcXBIAX-Eerzc&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=sSqHOF7BjgYAX-aeTWc&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=5ztt8ZQ2vK4AX9zTvjX&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
X9OnCdx&tn=5yiR4lxnBmOVWXL9&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=vLDgYGHjCnUAX_60x-1&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=ZmHLPkauEy4AX-h3AvC&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=m4HKQByJYVAAX883QlH&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=25cmepNx64AAX_rPpdy&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=tLw8t3ushb8AX98rqDc&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg

You big chicken! What's the matter with copious amounts of overspray on your nice new shoes? LOL!

You big chicken! What's the matter with copious amounts of overspray on your nice new shoes? LOL!
Been there...done that.... look at the pics of the Dart, I didn't have any small bolt pattern rollers....I was assured they'd always be bagged....yeah right.... !!!!!

Again, GREAT job!!! What size are your roller wheels and tires? I like the old Torque Thrust. That's what I'm looking for my Plymouth Wagon. And while I'm keeping the original drum brakes on the front for now I plan on swapping to disc brakes later.

When I did my Challenger in 90 or so, I pulled the engine/trans out so I could strip and paint the engine bay. Also detaild the k-frame and other stuff in the area before I took the car to Sam Foose[ chips dad] for body and paint. Got it back with lots of overspray on the k and other items. Luckily none in the bay. $5K job then. Had lots of unfeathered rock chips, raw bondo edges, bare metal, runs. Made him take care of it. What a _ick!

Again, GREAT job!!! What size are your roller wheels and tires? I like the old Torque Thrust. That's what I'm looking for my Plymouth Wagon. And while I'm keeping the original drum brakes on the front for now I plan on swapping to disc brakes later.
These are Brand new Torq thrust, and are whats going on the finished car. I put them on so they would be in place for the exhaust work. they are 275-60-15 rear, and 245-60-15 front....My rollers are old Magnums....

These are Brand new Torq thrust, and are whats going on the finished car. I put them on so they would be in place for the exhaust work. they are 275-60-15 rear, and 245-60-15 front....My rollers are old Magnums....
That's exactly what I'm looking for, to try and find used. LOL!!

Well, I'm running over the body again with the contour tool, to knock the Ospho, and any light surface rust off from working on the car, touching the metal etc etc. I am re-ospho ing 1 last time before it goes to the paint shop.
_nc_ohc=OgTvK2M86EgAX_4A-MZ&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=rPTTpqQvpJMAX__TeYb&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=jp0SrRcXpN8AX_dUSRI&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=tRIeJ0xB_1AAX-JfdWX&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg

I think you can can make Carlisle this year??

I think you can can make Carlisle this year??
I'd love to, I'm not in the Body shop yet, and The painter I am using for this car is great. Works steady on one car at a time, but estimated 4-6 months till completion. I have all the interior, and exterior still has some pieces going out for polishing. I will have to have a top put on. I cant do that myself..... so Probably wont be this year. Maybe My 71 Dart that i also have in progress will be done !!!!

Well, Its official !!
Im in the Restoration shop..... I call it that because its NOT A BODY SHOP !! but a real restoration shop !!!!
One step closer to my Dream of this !!!!!!!
_nc_ohc=TQs3-417RmIAX-mJzqm&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

This is sort of Off topic..... But one of my cars finally got some Color !! 19 months.... Still has to be cut/Buffed, Blacked out hood, and bumble bee striped.....Then it comes back to me....I don't think I have enough time for Carlisle....

IMG_2725.jpeg

IMG_2724.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg

IMG_2722.jpeg

Sadly, My 64 project came to a Halt.... The Painter I chose, kept my car 6 months, and hadn't started on it.... I start noticing he's put things in front of it ( I was supposed to be next in Line).... Then He calls me and says hes reevaluated the car and now his estimate Doubled to $35-$40,000.... I think he doesn't want to tackle it anymore, as he now has someone feeding him Custon Vettes to paint Big Money......So, shes back at My garage, and I'm painter shopping again..... I have a guy who does great work ( he just finished my Dart).... But it took him 2 years and 4 months to strip the Outside Only, Bodywork & Paint.....He has a full time collision shop, and my car just gets worked in when hes not busy.... I'm finishing the Dart now, getting it back together, and The new interior in. This car looks great, Its Straight and I'm happy....It just took too long !!!
_nc_ohc=4zp-16ofE7sAX-OlUTk&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=oAsjlVN_fA8AX8kpD0Z&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=tyVD59yt8ToAX9qQpgW&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=2R26kAFmsGgAX8ZJJfs&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=tOs9AgMa7cEAX8o2O8e&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=PdbeFZv77bEAX_xum3j&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=b2uQ9aJUq6kAX9TSP8v&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=9rxWBq9FVakAX-Eezdd&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=ks8UPuSe1a4AX9zLyT8&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.jpg

Sadly, My 64 project came to a Halt.... The Painter I chose, kept my car 6 months, and hadn't started on it.... I start noticing he's put things in front of it ( I was supposed to be next in Line).... Then He calls me and says hes reevaluated the car and now his estimate Doubled to $35-$40,000.... I think he doesn't want to tackle it anymore, as he now has someone feeding him Custon Vettes to paint Big Money......So, shes back at My garage, and I'm painter shopping again..... I have a guy who does great work ( he just finished my Dart).... But it took him 2 years and 4 months to strip the Outside Only, Bodywork & Paint.....He has a full time collision shop, and my car just gets worked in when hes not busy.... I'm finishing the Dart now, getting it back together, and The new interior in. This car looks great, Its Straight and I'm happy....It just took too long !!!View attachment 1574852View attachment 1574853View attachment 1574854View attachment 1574855View attachment 1574856View attachment 1574857View attachment 1574858View attachment 1574859View attachment 1574860
Dart looks great.... It use to be good painters were everywhere, getting a car painted never took more than a couple months & often a couple weeks was all it took... These days good painters are hard to find & they all think they should earn $500 an hour.... I appreciate that bodywork & prep is a lot of work, but I've had cars ready to roll in the booth, I'll tape it & wipe it down plus supply the paint....And still the painter wants $4000

Bummer. At least its in your possession and not locked up due to legal problems.

Sad to hear. I think we've all run up against it over the years, I think it's the fumes that must get to them,

I got great news !! The 64 is gone to a good buddies shop to get the rest painted.... We've been good friends since high school. His body shop in the family for 50 years. he decided over the summer to remodel the Old original shop behind his dads house, and ONLY do restoration work in there one car at a time.... He paints in the Nice downdraft booth in the collision shop, but all the prep and body work is done away from the collision work. He has 1 full time Man that runs that division, and another guy that floats between the shops as needed. They've gotten more done in a week than the last guy did in six months !!! i just happen to catch the opportunity to get my car in. He just finished a Torino, and was getting ready to start a K-5 Blazer, but it will need a ton of Metal work done Off site, so I was able to slide in... Finally, a little Progress again. I did the photography for his new sign for the resto shop of his personal 57 Chevy... This is his second one. We went everywhere in his Black 57, and I had a 70 1/2 challenger in high school.
I'll go down first of the week and get some photos.... I'm staying out of their hair...

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4343.jpeg

Mary Katherine is happy that they're slinging Mud on her car !!! They've done more in two weeks than the last shop did in six months !!!
Hood is stripped inside and out and in Primer.....Side is stripped (of Ospho) and is being straightened up !!!! Oh, The hemi scoop is in primer and was test fitted !!! I spied it on top of the K-5 Blazer in the background... They're going to be tearing The K5 down when materials need to shrink on my car. This isn't going to be one of those all over jobs " Mud to Paint " in a day and a 1/2 like Gas Monkey garage.... ( Theirs shrinks long after the customer has it ).....

unnamed (11).jpg
unnamed (10).jpg
unnamed (9).jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back