• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

building 440

jeff deakins

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
Building 440 for 1967 GTX 4 speed want it to to be good street motor.Any suggestions on cam and heads.The motor has 906 heads now.
Thanks for your advice

What are you looking for performance wise? A little more than stock, or big power numbers? Have a performance goal? Headers, or factory manifolds?

Had a friend with a 69 GTX 4 speed. Just a bit over stock. It was a bunch of fun to drive. Ran low 13s at 104 mph. Then he amped it up with more cam, more heads, etc and started breaking parts, and I don't think he was having any more fun than when it was slower.

906 heads are not original to a 67 GTX, but if it retains the 18 spline and the Dana it's good for 500 HP before you start breaking things. I like the 67 specifications with the 915 HP heads and the biggest streetable cam available. A little head work too. That's just me and my opinion. I'm sure there are probably better options but factory iron works for me.

Be realistic about your performance expectations, think through what the rest of the car may need with more power, also decide on your budget. Years ago my buddies & I came up with the "times 2 theory" , add up all the costs you can think of & double it. 906 heads work well(even if not correct for '67 GTX), especially if you do the basic "pocket porting". Think about what gas you will run to decide on compression ratio. Lots of cam choices, pro builders on this site can give advice. I'd look for a lower 500ish lift.

Auto Transport Service
Back