• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bulkhead connector

cwhubb

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
Hi, Is there any reason why I couldnt drill through the bulkhead connector and splice the matching wires together and just have the connector as a gromet?

u could but why are u wanting to do that? if u need to disconnect the bulkhead later u have to cut all the wires. just a thought unless ur bucks down and cant afford new wiring at the moment.

u could but why are u wanting to do that? if u need to disconnect the bulkhead later u have to cut all the wires. just a thought unless ur bucks down and cant afford new wiring at the moment.

ohhh....goodness. that means you gotta disconnect what? MAYBE 20 wires? Good grief. If you shudder at that thought, maybe a new hobby is in order. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Hi, Is there any reason why I couldnt drill through the bulkhead connector and splice the matching wires together and just have the connector as a gromet?

YES, you certainly can do that and use the connector as a grommet. The firewall connector has been a source of major problems for older cars for a long time. This is why Ron Francis leaves the connector OUT of all their harnesses.

Now, the reason I would not recommend doing it is this. All those wires are what.....35 years old at best? They been carryin current a long time. On top of that, you wanna splice um. Nothing wrong with a good splice, BUT, remember ANYTIME you splice, no matter how good, it adds resistance. That added resistance, plus the old copper wires could lead to something regrettable.

If you have the talent and skill to splice the connector out of the harness, just go ahead and make a new harness. Or if that is too much for you, there are affordable alternatives available. I am not sure I would do what you're talking about on a 35 plus year old harness even if it was perfect.....but as I said, it certainly can be done. ...and your reasoning for wanting to do it is SMART.

You could - not the best solution as pointed out above... I used aluminum aerospace multi-pin connectors for my wiring... the factory bulkhead (if replaced) should last you another 40 some odd years... I personally like the idea of being able to detach the front light and engine wiring if needed.

just wanted to avoid the weak link if I do any electrical add ons. @ rusty I took a good look at it and did some research and yea you're right, holy crap, the wires dont match up on for one connection wise, go in on one spade comes out on another, so I'm not going to touch anything

yep just being cheap is all, I already bought and replaced the new engine harness.

does the passenger side of the bulkhead connector have the same plug in style as the engine compartment?

hopefully everybody knows you can rebuild your factory bulkhead with new internal connectors if there is no damage to the plastic.the male and female ends a pretty common in most hardware and bigger auto parts stores.

I didnt know about the rebuild connectors, sounds like a job and a half though

I basically did that except I used a "like new" Painless harness I got reasonable (90 instead of 400!!!) and someone had given up on.

I simply ran the wires straight through the MT bulkhead with the exception of the wiper connector which I left as is. Think about it. How many times do you need to strip the wiring out of the engine bay? To paint the car? If you need to just release the clips, and pull all the wiring through the hole to the interior of the car

Auto Transport Service
Back