• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumper Question: Re-chrome or purchase new

Charger Too

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
My original 1968 Dodge Charger bumpers were stolen. I have a person that has a set that I can purchase that needs to be re-chromed. I can purchase new from CI (restorer's choice) which would be $800 less than purchasing used ones and having them re-chromed. What is my best option? What is the quality of CI bumpers? Thanks!

My original 1968 Dodge Charger bumpers were stolen. I have a person that has a set that I can purchase that needs to be re-chromed. I can purchase new from CI (restorer's choice) which would be $800 less than purchasing used ones and having them re-chromed. What is my best option? What is the quality of CI bumpers? Thanks!
I always try to use original wherever possible. That could depend on what the owner really wants, and their budget.

It would be nice if you could check out a pair of those repops. If the metal is thin (which it probably is) and factor in a less than top drawer chrome job I would go for the originals. Of course most would prefer prefer originals I think, particularly if the car is otherwise in great shape. Are we to assume the $800+ includes both bumpers and a good quality chrome job?

It would be nice if you could check out a pair of those repops. If the metal is thin (which it probably is) and factor in a less than top drawer chrome job I would go for the originals. Of course most would prefer prefer originals I think, particularly if the car is otherwise in great shape. Are we to assume the $800+ includes both bumpers and a good quality chrome job?
Yes!

I prefer original if possible. Call Tri City Plating and see if they have cores.

I prefer original if possible. Call Tri City Plating and see if they have cores.
I did. They don't have any CORES. $2,000 for them to re-chrome mine, front, rear and bumperettes, including shipping. I can get all new from CI for $1,100 + shipping. This is the restorer's choice ones offered by CI. I hope someone responds who bought some from CI.

This is my personal opinion as a person who's restored several mopar's and I am also an AMD dealer.... It depends on what you are looking for.... And what the car is.... If it is a high-end hemi or 440 6 pack car then you want to go rechrome... If it is a driver/ take it to car shows cruise night car. I believe the AMD are a very good bang for your buck I used the AMD bumpers on my 68 roadrunner and I am very happy with them just saying.... That's a 383 car. If I had a 68 hemi roadrunner I probably would go for the Tri-City plating route. Hope this helps. Steve

This is my personal opinion as a person who's restored several mopar's and I am also an AMD dealer.... It depends on what you are looking for.... And what the car is.... If it is a high-end hemi or 440 6 pack car then you want to go rechrome... If it is a driver/ take it to car shows cruise night car. I believe the AMD are a very good bang for your buck I used the AMD bumpers on my 68 roadrunner and I am very happy with them just saying.... That's a 383 car. If I had a 68 hemi roadrunner I probably would go for the Tri-City plating route. Hope this helps. Steve
Steve: Mine is a 318 car, original yellow with a black vinyl top. I am doing a complete restoration. Would like to go to car shows. What would you do if it was your car? Does CI get their bumpers from AMD?

If the metal is thin
Another old wive's tale !! Reality is: original bumpers are not that thick themselves. In fact they can be straightened or have dents and dings removed with an assortment of hand tools !!

My vote goes to repops. Ok, they're not as perfect as what you'd likely get back from Tri-City or other high end platers but those are overdone. Repops are as good as the 500,000 or so bumpers the factory cranked out back in the day. How much time do you think was alotted to the process of a bumper going on a b-body ... my guess is about ten minutes ... out of the stamping die and into an acid bath, a rinse then into a copper bath, another rinse and a quick buff, into another bath and rinse then the nickel, another rinse then into the chrome, a final rinse and onto a car. The Thai workers making the repops likely follow the exact same process - they are, afterall, "r-e-p-r-o-d-u-c-t-i-o-n-s" !

Hang onto your originals. They'll always be worth a good buck !!

Does CI get their bumpers from AMD?
Each bumper takes no less than two dies and probably more like four to make. Each die has an upper and lower. The dies halves probably weigh a ton or so each and are used in a 100 ton press.

So how many outfits do you think own the equipment to stamp out a few hundred bumpers!

Does that answer your question !!!

On a 318 car ....AMD is my choice .....if you are Jerry hall aka Hugh Hefner of the south....then rechrome for beautiful! Superbird is the way to go!!!....... Hahaha;)

My AMD front bumper is the exact same thickness as the bent up old one I took off my Bee.

I had the best chromer in Ontario, that does all the Guilds work, etc, do my rear bumper with "show" chrome. I'm staring at both ends of the car at this moment while typing this. Neither bumper is shining brighter than the other!!

I have had originals rechromed as well as bought new ones from AMD. I won't ever pay to have any rechromed again. All the AMD bumpers I have bought have been great, and far less money than using originals.

I had the original bumpers from my 68 Charger re-chromed by Keystone back in 2015. They were not bent up but the chrome was dull and thin. They did an excellent job and they still look great. Price was $750.00 then. Not sure what it would be these days

Nah ... best place in Ontario is Cambridge Custom Chrome !!

Auto Transport Service
Back