• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burger King buys Tim Horton's- WHAAAAAT???

No. You can assure me that if you owned BK that you would have done the same thing, but you cannot assure that I would have done the same thing. I am a 'matter of principle' kind-a-guy. Always have been.

And that is why you will never have a business that is as big as Burger King..

...Burger King upgraded its meat recently to rat meat.....

Well lookee lookee here.....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-26/tax-me-more-buffett-finance-burger-kings-tax-inversion-deal

President Obama would have proudly proclaimed Warren Buffett a true patriot in his bailing out of the banking system with expensive loans and his 'realization' that those earning more than $1 million should be tax-tax-taxed. However, the "Buffett Rule" appears to have one caveat... if you are making over a $1 billion, you're good to go with tax-avoidance strategies. In one of his career's most hypocritical moves Warren "tax-me-more" Buffett has decided that putting his money where his mouth is no longer makes sense.. and is funding $3billion of Burger King's "tax-inversion" takeover of Canada-based Tim Hortons.

I am going to grab me a Whopper tomorrow for lunch. Nothing wrong with supporting a Canadian Company.

Dako I hope you did not take that in a negative way. Nothing wrong with having values and sticking with them. At least not in my book.

This was done to take advantatge of low Coroportate income taxes and Warren Buffet is financing the deal. Canardian Coprorate income tax is 15 percent and Us Corporate income tax is 35 percent. Just another way to stick it up Obama s tax and spend policy!

It is just a business deal because they cannot make a stand alone BK make money in Canada so now they will tie them to a Timmies and hope they make money
I still do not like fast food burgers so I will not be helping them

I am going to grab me a Whopper tomorrow for lunch. Nothing wrong with supporting a Canadian Company.

Dako I hope you did not take that in a negative way. Nothing wrong with having values and sticking with them. At least not in my book.

Not at all. Each persons values may vary...My personal values allow me a good sleep each night.

I really don't get what all the uproar is all about. One company buys into another company to expand there market shares and moves only the head office to another country. But keeps all the regular business as is. No one is really loosing any jobs but more may be created by the merger. Here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada we have lost Major Manufacturing Jobs with US steel taking over Stelco and shutting them down , Semiens closing down and moving down south and many more over the years have dissapered. It's not like BK is being shut down throughout the US, at least be thankful for that.

Rant over

As a Canadian living in the city where Tim Hortons was founded, I see the deal as Burger King trying to increase their market share. As stated in previous posts, BK is not a big hit here. I personally like BK but they are failing to keep their products as good as they use to be. Like Tim Hortons they have just decimated the holy donut to a product similar to a retail packaged donut available in corner variety stores. The strategy seemed to work as people still buy them. I guess society as a whole is satisfied with inferior food products as big business has slowly decreased the taste, quality and value of virtually all food products (McD's, Wendy's, KFC).

But in big business, money comes first. McD's is rapidly selling assorted coffee and iced drinks and this has added to their bottom line and customer count. BK wants a part of this and is bringing in a proven product to show them how. Its all about money. Big corporate thinking is....continued growth or continued decline.

I want Dunkin Dognuts back in Canada! They make superior Doughnuts and coffee than Timmies!

Sorry, hosers. Im in idaho, waiting for a dunkin, i don't see them driving until nevada, i don't think they're going northward anytime soon, and that disappoints me terribly.

I think I remember reading somewhere that TH has something like 5 to 1 store ratio versus McDonalds.
The author of the piece was even surprised.
Might have been adjusted per capita or versus competitive stores/market share relative to Canada/US.

Guys, tax inversions are not an Obama plot. They came about in the 1980s. About 43 U.S. companies have reincorporated in low-tax countries since 1982, including 13 since 2012. In 2003, the Republican Congress passed legislation to stop them, and in 2009 the lawyers found loopholes. The Obama administration proposed legislation to take away the tax benefit from companies that acquire foreign companies smaller than themselves. The Treasury estimates the change would prevent $17 billion from escaping the U.S. tax system over the next decade. Since the House seems dedicated to blocking just about any administration proposal, it is unlikely to happen.

Liberal Tax & Spend Ideology, from the top down

:iamwithstupid: And the do nothing Dem. majority Senate & Harry Reid's leadership,
has pretty much shelved/chit canned, or not even brought up to voted on,
almost every bill passed in the House too !!

good or bad, right or wrong

It's all the lame BS, DC 2 step Grid lock, not just the House or Rep.'s fault...
It's also the lack of any true leadership, all the way from the top down,
all from atty. gen. Eric Holder, picking & choosing which laws he actually wants to enforce,
then the higher courts failing to uphold the constitution {like the Supreme Court}
& the WH too, they all have failed US, since about 1992...

my $0.02 cents

Auto Transport Service
Back