• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burned 71 Charger R/T on Copart

Damn. That’s sad. :( I’ve heard the sheet metal is never the same after being tempered like that.

The car would need a full roofskin and inner roof structure,inner fenders,cowl,firewall,doors,quarters,fenders,a hood,trunklid,dutch panel,glass,front bumper,front valence,grille assembly,dashboard,heater box,wiring,steering column,seats,console,shifter assembly,etc. plus engine and transmission,rebuild or replacement as well. It would be a major undertaking even for someone like me who has the parts.

Doors alone are a Billion Dollars

Then add the front fenders at a Million

Ads up quickly :thumbsup:

It's in decent shape,I did a lower section between the wheels and the drivers side rocker skin. But the rest was super solid. Its a 360 too. I didn't realize the values had gone up that much on them Rob.
absolutely.
yours has several things going for it too.
its never been cut for windows,so its a blank slate,very hard to find now.
its the right year,make and model to make a StreetVan clone out of.
its here in the northeast,and looks better than 90% of whats for sale now.
its a 360 already!!
and you have got some of the custom van stuff for it,the sidepipes,mags,window covers,horn etc.

honestly,if i were selling that van,if its half as nice inside as outside,id start at 9 or maybe even 10 grand.
your best market is as mentioned earlier,a dodge van group,over on fakebook,pick the one w the highest daily posts and youll sell it Quick.
good luck and hey Nice Van !

ps,ive been real busy,havent been around,did you ever sell the white 70 v code charger?
that was one of my fav cars to see here.

Saw this 71 Charger R/T on Copart. Looks like an alternator gauge meltdown!
Don't tell Nacho...he will chime in to extoll the virtues of the ammeter wiring despite countless meltdowns.

1 laugh 4.jpg

Doors alone are a Billion Dollars

Then add the front fenders at a Million

Ads up quickly :thumbsup:
I have the fenders,I have a pair of doors with the R/T louvers grafted into them. I have a bumper and hidden headlight grille. I have the whole roof structure with a factory sunroof in it from a 73 Charger. I have the front valence pan. I have a pair of AMD rear quarters,and a pair of NOS 71 Charger rear quarter panels. I have dashes,steering columns,seats,glass and wiring harnesses. I pretty much have what is needed to fix the body. I only have one AMD ramcharger hood,and it's for my other car,but I have two 71 Charger R/T hoods.

Last edited:
What was the final bid?
No idea. I looked for it, but they removed the car from their listings. I am not registered on their website. Maybe someone who is registered can find out?

I reached up behind the dash in my 78 Little Red Express truck,where the smoke was coming from,and pulled out what was burning,and the insulation was completely engulfed in flames behind the alternator gauge while the truck was running. I shut off the key,stomped out the burning insulation with my foot and ran to disconnect the battery as quickly as possible and managed to save both the truck and the garage!

I reached up behind the dash in my 78 Little Red Express truck,where the smoke was coming from,and pulled out what was burning,and the insulation was completely engulfed in flames behind the alternator gauge while the truck was running. I shut off the key,stomped out the burning insulation with my foot and ran to disconnect the battery as quickly as possible and managed to save both the truck and the garage!
It is a bit of a stretch to assume the ammeter, or ammeter connections, had anything to do this fire based on the pictures posted. “Countless Meltdowns”? Relating to properly maintained ammeter connections and related wiring, properly loaded? Where can I find the forensic reports to back that up that statement?

You can’t conflate the later plastic-framed truck ammeter fiasco with the earlier passenger cars, ammeter construction is not the same. Or the fact that most ammeter over-current issues were caused by added aftermarket loads at the battery, especially the later trucks.

Last edited:
A thousand dollars plus worth of tail lights, exhaust tips and valance on that car.

It is a bit of a stretch to assume the ammeter, or ammeter connections, had anything to do this fire based on the pictures posted. “Countless Meltdowns”? Relating properly maintained ammeter connections and related wiring, properly loaded? Where can I find the forensic reports to back that up that statement?

You can’t conflate the later plastic-framed truck ammeter fiasco with the earlier passenger cars, ammeter construction is not the same. Or the fact that most ammeter over-current issues were caused by added aftermarket loads at the battery, especially the later trucks.
My 70 Charger R/T did the exact same thing,both were the result of the ammeter shorting out.

’70 Challenger sounds more like a poorly maintained or abused, loose or over-tightened, ammeter stud nuts leading directly to an insulator failure. These passenger car ammeters, ammeter studs, don’t just short out for no reason at all.

In the later plastic-framed truck case, again different animal, no metal cluster frame for the ammeter studs to short to, simple heat related plastic deformation leading to enough heat to ignite materials in close proximity if not addressed in time.

Despite the excuses as to why amp gauges have started fires or caused other damage, the fact is that they can, have and will. Sure if they are properly installed and maintained the chances are minimal but there is still a chance so why take it?

Bottom line is that everyone can do whatever they like with their cars however the truth is that amp gauges and their associated wiring can pose a significant threat, what people do to mitigate the threat is up to them.

Despite the excuses as to why amp gauges have started fires or caused other damage, the fact is that they can, have and will. Sure if they are properly installed and maintained the chances are minimal but there is still a chance so why take it?

Bottom line is that everyone can do whatever they like with their cars however the truth is that amp gauges and their associated wiring can pose a significant threat, what people do to mitigate the threat is up to them.
Excuses, really? Who is making excuses or questioning mitigation approaches in this thread? Only questioning assumptions based on limited or flawed information. Fact is, any electrical circuit components/connections in any circuit designed to handle any kind of current can and will fail without any maintenance/inspection and/or is exposed to abuse/poor servicing over time (especially after 50+ years) and/or operated outside its original design limits.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back