• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burnishing the oil pump drive bushing?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellas,
The previous post got me thinking about the factory tool for burnishing. Does anyone have one? Or can anyone tell me the diameter of the ball section? It looks like a lathe project for me!
Mike

Dist bushing burnisher.JPG

Well, when the new bushing is driven in the I.D. shrinks slightly; so it has to be framed out a little. Jeez it’s been 40yrs, but I got lucky and my dad was a machinist and he got me a reamer that worked beautifully and then he took it back to his workplace.

The factory burnishing tool doesn't have a ball at the end, the shaft has a slight taper from .484" at the top to .488" at the bottom. As the shaft is drawn through the bushing the .488" end does the burnishing.

End.JPG

Hi fellas,
The previous post got me thinking about the factory tool for burnishing. Does anyone have one? Or can anyone tell me the diameter of the ball section? It looks like a lathe project for me!
Mike
I've never had an issue with fitment and never used this tool. But, I've only installed about 8-10 bushings.

In @andyf 's Mopar performance engine book, it is a recommended tool.
AndyF is one forum member whose advice is golden.
Maybe he will chime in. I don't really understand what it is or does, but I just happened to be reading that section.

The tool "sizes" the installed bushing for the correct clearance to the oil pump drive shaft. It is pulled through from the top.
Mike

Ive probably installed 8-10 bushings over the years and I have never used one of those tools. Not saying anything against them, but if they were a huge requirement you would think they would be readily available in the after market. Perhaps new bushings are made to compensate for the deflection during installation whereas the older ones were not and required the burnishing tool?

When I installed a new one in my 440 during rebuild, I took an old pump drive shaft without the gear and dremeled a longitudinal cut in the shaft. Deburr the cut with a stone and used it to ream the new bushing.

Some aftermarket bushings don't require burnishing.

The purpose of burnishing the factory bushing is to properly size the hole and also to expand the bushing tightly in the block bore. Reaming the bushing may size the hole but it doesn't expand it.

Auto Transport Service
Back