• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer Beware - Rick Ehrenberg

Unknown motors are always a crap shoot. sometimes you get lucky, most times ya don’t. You can tell by the pics it was a complete hack job or, that or it got damp inside without sufficient oil on the cylinder walls and it rusted while sitting.

Last edited:
Bring it on, Rick. I have the email trail to back up what I claim.
And if he gives great advice for you, super. But he won't do the right thing and stand behind what he sold.
I'm not Mr. Ehrenberg, obviously - and I've done business with him many a time over the years
I've asked him to come here and say something, but it was sent thru eBay so no telling when he'll see it.

Those cylinder walls have had more water in them than condension.Been building steel sleeve motors for 40 years.Rebuilt motors that were under water (sunk) that looked like that.Do not know the seller or buyer but I know if one of my known motors looked like that the buyer would get a FULL refund!! Time for the seller to man up!!! POPS

from Rick in the summer of 2017. While he didn’t build it, he said he knew the engine builder who did and he’d stand behind the engine.

this is all that matters to me
that simple statement and the pic of the garbage block
tells the whole story
the rest here is just someone's opinion good or bad which means nothing

a man is only as good as his word.
these days people seem to forget that
i'm interested to see if someone stands behind what they said
or they start doing the word dance.
so far it seems like someone is doing the Jive..

Buying something like this is as stated a crap shoot ! I'm sure you didn't pay top dollar for this eng as it sounds like there was no proof of rebuild ! Hate to brake it to you but you get what you pay for ! As for his word did he ever say he opened the motor? If he did and still sold it like this he's a dick ! If he didn't you can't really blame him as he didn't know! He told you what was told to him !
Buyer beware! I don't trust anyone selling a good "rebuilt" Motor! I take my impact gun with me and pull the pan and top end off if it's pricey if it's really expensive I wanna see papers too! If it's cheap it is what it is I'll pull the valve cover s off and take a peek

The automated message I got back from his eBay store is that he's out of pocket until the 20th.
It also says he's driving a RoadRunner cross country at this time.
I have no other information at the moment, all it said.

No dog in this fight, but I will not personally use synthetic oil in a rebuild; no matter what year engine it is. That stuff is just too slippery for my taste. After a couple 1k miles,sure.

If he looked in the bores, and you looked in the bores, where do you think the rust came from?? Is your garage heated? Or heated only when you are working out there?? Was this motor a deal, so to speak, or do you feel you paid top cash for it, meaning how much are we talking here? You must have had some inkling that no matter who built it, if it was sitting around for a while ( you haven't really said how long, or where and how it was stored ) , and then it took you a while to get it going, there could be a possibility of problems, right? Just saying. Motors are not always prepped for storage if the builder doesn't know your intent, and you stated you are three owners down the line (or more)....

fault comes from all sides but i think when someone says they will stand behind it that's what matters. having a big name such as rick does you would think he would protect that nameat all costs. what bugs me is the fact that rick didn't even say let me find the engine builder and find out what can be done. nope he blames the syn oil well if he knew it had syn oil in it why did he use it for breakin. rick has been around this game for a while so did they use syn for break in or something else and then put syn in it for storage. as for rust really the hone job was poor at best. to much miss leading info from engine builder and sounds like to me that rick was a middle man doing a favor for a friend(maybe). but for rick you had a couple of options to run with and didn't do anything well in my book that's wrong.

What kind of money did you pay Rick this engine ?

I've bought all sort of stuff over the years, and he has always done good things (and I'm in Australia )

You guys may be surprised at the crying assclowns over at FABO. The OP posted there too and must be happy with the reception he is getting. Moparts is about 50/50 as it is here.
WTF is up with FABO ???? I know that many A-body guys are cheap but what the heck ???

****EDIT****
I posted over there a moment ago. Maybe there is hope that fairness and some balance may occur.

Last edited:
Used engines and used condoms are about the same thing. The previous owner will always tell you it worked fine.

Yeah...That is a good one.
(How come I didn't think of it?)

I’m in the caveat emptor camp. Other side of the coin is, saying something about Ehrenberg is like saying something about Jamie - who walks on water.

Last edited:
Who is Jamie?
Jamie Sommers...The Bionic Woman?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to hear the defense if it so pans out. But at this point the biggest mistake made was Rick saying, "he" would stand behind the engine. That implies he had faith in the builder.........perhaps blind faith which appears to be the case of the purchaser here as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back