• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bye Bye E Town track !!

Sorry to hear this. Grew up hearing the commercials on the Radio - RRRRRRRRACEWAY PARK!

Sorry to hear that,never been there myself; but had a friend that took a 68-9 Chevelle 396/375 there years ago for B/Stock(?) and set a Nat'l record in qualifying but couldn't back it up when a slick went flat at staging lanes. Years ago was probably late 70's. His engine guy said "you only got the weekend on this motor". Engine guy later helped develop the 'quad 4' engine for GM, true story. Ahh, the old memories!

It was the new Yorker douchebags that come over that started this crap years ago.
Easy does it pal with the comments. The noise might have been a problem but i dont know if that was the ultimate reason, lets see what Fly weighs in with
For what its worth, yes plenty of folks from New York moved into Jersey. With them they brought there hard earned money and plenty of NJ developers and land owners made big money on building. I could say the exact same thing about folks from Brooklyn and other parts of the city that moved to were i live when the bridge was completed, but id never do that. Its the way life goes. We hadn't had deer here since civil war days now with the building in Jersey deer swam across the Kull and we have a out of control deer problem. You add that in plus the pollution that comes across from Jersey refineries for decades not even to mention the crap they dumped in the KIll Van Kull and id think twice before i toss around just whose and whose not a "douchebag" Don't fret i know your pissed off so i forgive you LOL.

Lots of land = easy money? Hope they don't need to do an environmental study beforehand.

I live right next to BIR in Brainerd Mn. Been there since I was 7. So far so good. I love it.Once a week we get to use the strip and play. So far so good but you never know.

:( Very sad to hear had a lot of good times growing up there with the street legal days. It's New Jersey, either the developers want to build something or the track is not able to afford to keep the property.

logo-new.gif

Mopar2017.jpg

East Windsor Speedway, Wall Stadium, Flemington Speedway, and now Raceway Park.

Not too long from now, streetracing will be huge again. All the lawmakers will then be trying to figure out "what went wrong?" My state doesn't have a single NHRA sanctioned track... guess what? Lots of backstreet racing. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't participated in it at least once. The closest NHRA track to me is a 4 hour drive away; definetly not worth the time.

What happened to Rumblefish' s comment ? Well, let me tell you- I was born and grew up in Brooklyn before your *** saw the light of day.

Easy does it pal with the comments. The noise might have been a problem but i dont know if that was the ultimate reason, lets see what Fly weighs in with
For what its worth, yes plenty of folks from New York moved into Jersey. With them they brought there hard earned money and plenty of NJ developers and land owners made big money on building. I could say the exact same thing about folks from Brooklyn and other parts of the city that moved to were i live when the bridge was completed, but id never do that. Its the way life goes. We hadn't had deer here since civil war days now with the building in Jersey deer swam across the Kull and we have a out of control deer problem. You add that in plus the pollution that comes across from Jersey refineries for decades not even to mention the crap they dumped in the KIll Van Kull and id think twice before i toss around just whose and whose not a "douchebag" Don't fret i know your pissed off so i forgive you LOL.
Steve, I was born and grew up in Brooklyn. Did I say ALL new Yorkers ? No. I said the ones that came over and moved near Raceway park. And yes, they are what they are. Myself, and many others I know moved from New York, and didn't squawk about the noise as soon as we moved here. But, it's the truth, the people who caused the issues with the noise were all douchebags from New York. If that bothers you, sorry. I'm a native New Yorker, and it don't bother me one bit. I appreciate your gentlemanly reply, unlike the other.

My phone started going off at 7am with this really bad news:( Been going to that track for 40 years.I was in the high 11's 1st time there. Was planning on my 1st 8 second there:mad:
Now more than ever,,WE NEED A TRACK ON LONG ISLAND!!!
Walter at the mike and Cecilia keeping the flow.

Feel like I just lost a good friend to a wallet attack:elmer:

Some pics from MOPAR Atlantic Nationals @ E/town,,,,,,,,5/08

IMG_0258r2.jpg IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0293.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0305.JPG

It’s @bobtile ‘s fault. I hear attendance was way down since he announced his taking 2017 off.

I hope you’re happy.

065ED024-313B-4551-897F-12F442E0AD9A.jpeg

it appears someone made them a offer they could not refuse
more then bitching neighbors..

Englishtown Raceway Abruptly Closes Its NHRA Drag Strip

Raphael Orlove
Today 11:08amFiled to: DRAG RACING

Photo: NHRA
For decades, Englishtown Raceway Park in New Jersey has been home to the NHRA’s Summer Nationals. But today, the track announced it’s stopping drag racing, effective immediately. Other activities at Englishtown will continue, notably Club Loose’s drift events, but this is an abrupt end to an era.

All quarter and eighth mile events are coming to an end, while dirt bike, karting, road course and drift events will continue. The reason for the closure of drag racing appears to come from the track leasing out that area to Insurance Auto Auctions to store cars. Englishtown previously held some of the thousands of cars flooded by Hurricane Sandy back in 2013, so this relationship isn’t coming out of nowhere.

A source familiar with the matter said that IAA recently came back and made an offer the track “couldn’t refuse.”

So the end of drag racing at Englishtown doesn’t seem to be coming from something falling through with the NHRA so much as car storage being more lucrative.

Tons of smaller drag events run at Englishtown (its Honda-only events are well known) and it’s unclear where they’ll go. There are other drag strips nearby, like Atco, but this is all quite sudden.

What’s interesting about this is it’s a real passing of the torch moment for this really quite well-known track, which was due to host the NHRA Summer Nationals again this year in June. A few years back, Englishtown moved its drifting events from a large parking lot to a dedicated road course, and the events have been flourishing. East Coast Bash might be the best drift event, if not the best car event, in the country.

That these drift events are continuing while drag racing is shutting down is an interesting gauge of the state of motorsports in America in 2018.

I've been physically ill all day.
Been going there since I was about 8 years old. 1973 was probably the first time there.
So many memories there and it feels like the rug was just pulled out from beneath me.
I was made aware of this last evening.
Fortunately we still have Island Dragway (10 minutes from my house) and Atco in NJ.
I have Maple Grove, Numedia, Lebanon Valley, Cecil County and MIR all within reasonable driving distance.
You can't however replace great memories!
This really sucks!
There are still a lot of rumors of what actually happened. Supposedly, there is a press conference coming with an explanation.

Auto Transport Service
Back