• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Café With Self-Order Kiosks And Self-Serve Coffee Asks If You Want To Leave A Tip

Here we go, this past Saturday my daughter took my wife and I out for dinner, it was for my wife's birthday. She said her and her boyfriend had been there once before and it was a great, real Italian restaurant, reservations were made. From the outside it looked like a fast-food joint, walk inside and there is a big table where three people were trying to figure who does what and who goes where. There was a table 6 feet from the door and 5 feet from this table where everyone that comes in stands and they led us to this table. I looked at them and they knew I was not going to sit there. They took us to another table and we sat down. I looked at my daughter and ask, this is a Italian restaurant, she said yes, why. There were two people that looked American and the rest were Mexican. The guy shows up, with menus and comes to my side of the table. I can't understand a word he was saying as he passes out the menus. I said nothing. I looked at the menu and couldn't make heads or tails out of it and it had no prices in it. I asked my daughter what she thought was good and she said I should try the black spaghetti, made with black squid ink as a dye. I noticed her boyfriend looking at his phone and asked him what's up. He was Googling the menu because he didn't know what was what. Two of the smartest people I know, my wife and daughter couldn't read this menu. I was not impressed, now I'm pissed. The server went to get our drinks and when he came back I asked him to explain everything on the menu, in detail. My daughter just looked at me and I said, it's either you or him, pick one, I'm sorry this is my first time here and I can't read it well enough to put it together with a food I'd like. He couldn't explain it as well as he should have been able to, but we ordered. The portions were small and the build up to this dinner by the server was as if it was fit for a king. The food tasted like ****, the atmosphere didn't exist and when the bill came he gave it to me, not realizing she was paying. I looked at the bill and looked at my daughter and she said, I got this dad. I reached for my wallet and she said, dad this is on me. I was touched by the gesture, but this was out of control and all I wanted to do was reel this in and get out of there. Get ready, with tip, this dinner was $421.00. I just wanted to beat the **** out of someone. I don't care about the money, it was a play on something that just wasn't there. I said nothing to my daughter, she enjoyed taking us out, but she has to be crazy to think I would go back and be played by these overbearing ******** again. When I got home I looked up the restaurant and it listed the prices for take out. You have got to be kidding me!!! Even with all the math I couldn't get to the figure that was on that bill. I have no idea what happened and you can bet I will never go back for fear of what will happen if we do!!! Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me............. I have no idea how people in their right mind can think that this can continue without a hard stop somewhere along the line.

I didn't mention that Theresa and I had went to the grocery store before we went out for dinner. At the checkout at the grocery store, I said out loud, that I hope the cost keep going up because I will out last the people that voted for this. It's getting unbelievable and I don't know if things will ever be the way they were. Beam me up, Scotty!!!

Here we go, this past Saturday my daughter took my wife and I out for dinner, it was for my wife's birthday. She said her and her boyfriend had been there once before and it was a great, real Italian restaurant, reservations were made. From the outside it looked like a fast-food joint, walk inside and there is a big table where three people were trying to figure who does what and who goes where. There was a table 6 feet from the door and 5 feet from this table where everyone that comes in stands and they led us to this table. I looked at them and they knew I was not going to sit there. They took us to another table and we sat down. I looked at my daughter and ask, this is a Italian restaurant, she said yes, why. There were two people that looked American and the rest were Mexican. The guy shows up, with menus and comes to my side of the table. I can't understand a word he was saying as he passes out the menus. I said nothing. I looked at the menu and couldn't make heads or tails out of it and it had no prices in it. I asked my daughter what she thought was good and she said I should try the black spaghetti, made with black squid ink as a dye. I noticed her boyfriend looking at his phone and asked him what's up. He was Googling the menu because he didn't know what was what. Two of the smartest people I know, my wife and daughter couldn't read this menu. I was not impressed, now I'm pissed. The server went to get our drinks and when he came back I asked him to explain everything on the menu, in detail. My daughter just looked at me and I said, it's either you or him, pick one, I'm sorry this is my first time here and I can't read it well enough to put it together with a food I'd like. He couldn't explain it as well as he should have been able to, but we ordered. The portions were small and the build up to this dinner by the server was as if it was fit for a king. The food tasted like ****, the atmosphere didn't exist and when the bill came he gave it to me, not realizing she was paying. I looked at the bill and looked at my daughter and she said, I got this dad. I reached for my wallet and she said, dad this is on me. I was touched by the gesture, but this was out of control and all I wanted to do was reel this in and get out of there. Get ready, with tip, this dinner was $421.00. I just wanted to beat the **** out of someone. I don't care about the money, it was a play on something that just wasn't there. I said nothing to my daughter, she enjoyed taking us out, but she has to be crazy to think I would go back and be played by these overbearing ******** again. When I got home I looked up the restaurant and it listed the prices for take out. You have got to be kidding me!!! Even with all the math I couldn't get to the figure that was on that bill. I have no idea what happened and you can bet I will never go back for fear of what will happen if we do!!! Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me............. I have no idea how people in their right mind can think that this can continue without a hard stop somewhere along the line.

I didn't mention that Theresa and I had went to the grocery store before we went out for dinner. At the checkout at the grocery store, I said out loud, that I hope the cost keep going up because I will out last the people that voted for this. It's getting unbelievable and I don't know if things will ever be the way they were. Beam me up, Scotty!!!
I learned a long time ago that my kids were not versed in good food or good movies lol. I'm wondering if someone didn't make a mistake on the bill or did it on purpose. No way I would have paid that tab....and can't afford to these days!

No way I would have paid that tab....
The last thing I wanted to do was get my daughter upset. She said I should be proud that she is in a position that she can easily afford it. Next thing I need to do is teach her when to stop, look and listen.

The last thing I wanted to do was get my daughter upset. She said I should be proud that she is in a position that she can easily afford it. Next thing I need to do is teach her when to stop, look and listen.
I probably should have worded that differently. I would have questioned why it was so high but on the other hand, I don't know if drinks were on it either. It always makes me a bit nervous when any restaurant doesn't have prices listed. I know the prices are moving pretty fast these days but there's still lots of other eateries that list their prices.

I probably should have worded that differently. I would have questioned why it was so high but on the other hand, I don't know if drinks were on it either. It always makes me a bit nervous when any restaurant doesn't have prices listed. I know the prices are moving pretty fast these days but there's still lots of other eateries that list their prices.
I swore off places that have big plates artfully decorated with little food and then hand you a mortgage application to pay for the privilege. When my son is paying and he's okay with it I just hold my tongue and go along. But I won't be eating there otherwise....much rather go to the local old time diner and squeeze into a comfy booth and eat home made food for cheap.

Even with drinks, it didn't add up. Even if the drinks were 100 dollars, the food wasn't worth the rest. It's better if I take them out and I pay, then I have a say in all of it with out walking over someone, lesson learned.

I swore off places that have big plates artfully decorated with little food and then hand you a mortgage application to pay for the privilege. When my son is paying and he's okay with it I just hold my tongue and go along. But I won't be eating there otherwise....much rather go to the local old time diner and squeeze into a comfy booth and eat home made food for cheap.
I agree!!! Howdy beats bonjour anytime!! LOL

no way I'm trading 2-3 hours of skilled, physical labor for a couple plates of crappy food; most likely prepared in a dirty kitchen by 3rd world illegals with germy hands, served by people who probably hate me for my white privilege........it's the world we currently live in

Glad I don't fly anymore or stay in hotels/motels.......and live in CA!
I do all of those things. Costs a fortune. Thank God for disposable income. Lunch is an easy $50, and that’s at 5 Guys.

I agree!!! Howdy beats bonjour anytime!! LOL
There's a Southern France French restaurant here in tiny Brandon, VT. Nice people own it and the French pastry bakery. Been in the bakery hundreds of times, the restaurant, never once. Looked in the window once and saw big plates with tiny artfully presented food and then saw the prices on the posted menu. You would have thought they had the food prepared IN FRANCE and shipped over via Concorde...lol.

There's a Southern France French restaurant here in tiny Brandon, VT. Nice people own it and the French pastry bakery. Been in the bakery hundreds of times, the restaurant, never once. Looked in the window once and saw big plates with tiny artfully presented food and then saw the prices on the posted menu. You would have thought they had the food prepared IN FRANCE and shipped over via Concorde...lol.
Filthy French don’t wash their hands and probably piss in the soup too.

It would take me too long to type the too much I have to say - So let's just leave it at November 8, 2022 - Let the flames of Hell rain down on every bastard that caused this.

It would take me too long to type the too much I have to say - So let's just leave it at November 8, 2022 - Let the flames of Hell rain down on every bastard that caused this.
I never use the word hate, but these people are on the last nerve I have and as my brother would say, I don't hate, but, I hope they get what they deserve. I don't know, that doesn't sound strong enough!!! LOL

Hey-O - I can relate. When our daughter lived in Chicago, she would take us to a lot of places she liked a lot but weren't my cup of tea, let's just say. One place in particular was a tapas restaurant. It's all small portions and you get lots of different things and share - kind of like a sampler type deal. Ok, not so bad, I guess, but most of it didn't appeal to me. I don't have what anyone would call a sophisticated palate. That aside, my biggest gripe with that place (and most Chicago restaurants) was how damn loud it was in there. When I go to dinner with people, I like to be able to converse at the table without yelling or using sign language! It's tough when your tastes are different (both literally and in atmosphere), but it's your daughter and it can be a real challenge to try to roll with the punches and not be the old man you have become. LOL The Mrs. is much more adaptable in those situations.

I never use the word hate, but these people are on the last nerve I have and as my brother would say, I don't hate, but, I hope they get what they deserve. I don't know, that doesn't sound strong enough!!! LOL
Ullie - yeah hate is a strong word. But so is taking big piece by bigger piece the worlds brightest, strongest free standing symbol of democracy, free enterprise and constitutional functionality and literally nearly destroying it in less than 2 years. Destroying families, the lives of our precious children, millions of small businesses, weaponized the media, corporate America and erasing our very culture and history in ways that sicken the rational mind. Yes hate is a strong word and frankly it doesn't even fit the narrative. Be certain if the raging fires of hell don't rain down upon the perpetrators of this destruction beginning in November - They will one day and maybe not that far off - Read the last book of the Bible - Revelations. Not one, not a few, not some - but every knee will bow to our true God of both salvation and judgement. No one will escape the Rapture - and it is written those who've defied our Lord will burn in the raging lake of fire in hell for all of eternity. There's no need for hate - there is no escape - there will be no second chances - there will only be judgement for which each will stand before the throne and receive their sentence. I have no need for hate - I just need to keep my faith and let what's been written for centuries come to pass as much of it already has. Don't waste your time on hate - that's a manufactured false narrative spewed by those that represent it - not by us. Does this seem strong enough for you?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back