• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Exhaust

The police are not trained nor do they carry decibel meters, the law is subjective. So if you do get the ticket, you go to a referee station where they are trained, have a decibel meter and can measure the sound of your exhaust at a determined distance.

Pretty much - the police use this as a probable cause measure to stop you - to in turn search your vehicle if needed, etc - i highly doubt they will pull over a classic car for noise unless you're running open headers

The police are not trained nor do they carry decibel meters, the law is subjective. So if you do get the ticket, you go to a referee station where they are trained, have a decibel meter and can measure the sound of your exhaust at a determined distance.
So in other words you can just swap out the mufflers before your appointment with the referee station :lol:

Pretty much - the police use this as a probable cause measure to stop you - to in turn search your vehicle if needed, etc - i highly doubt they will pull over a classic car for noise unless you're running open headers
That's a very good point, most people who want there car loud as hell are likely up to no good anyway!

Sometimes I wish I didn’t read these threads. Didn’t even know there was a new law about loud pipes. I do agree with the guys above that are saying it will be lightly enforced. Hope so. We don’t need anymore reasons for the cops to pull us over - aren’t there enough.....

I asked for a straw for my drink but was told they’re illegal now so I thought I’d just put my drink bottles in the grocery bag and go home .... then I found out giving grocery bags were illegal too. So I was going to text my congressman about that stuff until I found they were going to be taxing texting..... I could go on but you get the point..... Run for your life and wallet...

I’m running Hooker Competition headers with Flowmaster mufflers - American Thunder. They’re throaty and have a nice rumble to them. Especially with a nice lopey cam. They fit the 494 stroker we built. I just hope I can continue to ride them. Aaah the Golden State.

Plastic straws are now illegal in parts of california. We're saving the planet dont you know?

So this law is for cars only or what? I'd tell LE to go F themselves and to leave me the F alone, and go after the loud *** inconsiderate Harley riders instead! Which CA. has a very serious problem with! What a crock-O-crap!
This is not a new law. It is a new rate on the fine. It applies to modified exhaust systems. I really doubt they are after Classic Musclecars...It is more likely they are targeting the horrible sounding 4 cylinder crowd with the open exhaust/fart can crowd.

CA - They’re not technically illegal. Just using a little creative license for effect. They’re not to be given out until they can transition to the paper ones. Plastic waste you know. Then we’ll have another issue with the spotted snatch bird for cutting down trees to make straws. My point was it just never ends in CA.

Oh, okay. I had understood that it was illegal to give them out without a request, but it was okay if someone asked for them. I have no problem with paper straws. Actually, I just use stainless steel straws here at home.

Back to exhaust now. :)

I asked for a straw for my drink but was told they’re illegal now so I thought I’d just put my drink bottles in the grocery bag and go home .... then I found out giving grocery bags were illegal too. So I was going to text my congressman about that stuff until I found they were going to be taxing texting..... I could go on but you get the point..... Run for your life and wallet....

You are seeing the light of what's happening in a very troubled state, but yet you take serious offence when I talk about the same. WTF is up with that?????:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:

So if you do get the ticket, you go to a referee station where they are trained, have a decibel meter and can measure the sound of your exhaust at a determined distance.

I find this very hard to believe in happening. You'll get a ticket, go to court, get bitch slapped around by a Judge, and pay a fine and go home. While being told not to let it happen again.

No court, referee station. It’s a fix it ticket, like having your front windows tinted, remove the tint, pay for the “paperwork” and your done.

Pass the decibel reading, your done.

As some of you have deduced, this is just a way for local police to crack down on street racing and the other stunts that often happen at car meets. My son belongs to a club that discourages numbskull behavior, but there are those youngsters in the rice rocket set that don't have as much sense as he does.

It is typical California thinking that brought this new enforcement paradigm about. Why not just crack down on the street idiots - period? Enforce the laws we already have in place - my opinion.

And as far as the Harleys go, I've had the same thought. Bikes are fine, but some of those hogs with little or no exhaust are just way damn obnoxious. They should be getting the noise citations. How would you like to live next door to one of those bikes when the guy starts it up each morning at 6AM to go to work?

After surfing around listening to some sound clips, I will probably wind up going with something like the Dynomax Super Turbos.

Thanks for your thoughts.

As some of you have deduced, this is just a way for local police to crack down on street racing and the other stunts that often happen at car meets. My son belongs to a club that discourages numbskull behavior, but there are those youngsters in the rice rocket set that don't have as much sense as he does.

It is typical California thinking that brought this new enforcement paradigm about. Why not just crack down on the street idiots - period? Enforce the laws we already have in place - my opinion.

And as far as the Harleys go, I've had the same thought. Bikes are fine, but some of those hogs with little or no exhaust are just way damn obnoxious. They should be getting the noise citations. How would you like to live next door to one of those bikes when the guy starts it up each morning at 6AM to go to work?

After surfing around listening to some sound clips, I will probably wind up going with something like the Dynomax Super Turbos.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Riding a very loud motorcycle (you might call this a “lane splitter”) adds a major safety feature as it lets drivers know that you’re near (they could be distracted on a cell phone for instance) Also in CA motorcycles can still ride in between lanes, I knows some places have made this illegal.

How would you like to live next door to one of those bikes when the guy starts it up each morning at 6AM to go to work?

I had a whole Damm neighborhood of them that didn't give a crap about the neighbors. Especially the jackass that lived in the cul-de-sac just around the corner from me. Haul *** around the T-corner up by my place where's there's a stop sign. Rev, Rev, Rev, turn left and hammer the **** down for the next 1/2 mile, and that's at 4 fuckin 30 in the morning! That's another reason why I left.

CA - They’re not technically illegal. Just using a little creative license for effect. They’re not to be given out until they can transition to the paper ones. Plastic waste you know. Then we’ll have another issue with the spotted snatch bird for cutting down trees to make straws. My point was it just never ends in CA.

The paper straws do come in plastic wrappers though in some places... the politics of CA are probably the dumbest out there - thats why most retirees are leaving - taxes are getting outrageous and they fail to even use tax revenue for improvements. The gov is also suing more cities (Huntington Beach) for not allowing enough low income housing. So they are trying to trun good neighborhoods into bad ones it seems.

That's hilarious - I was just going to point out that the plastic straws come in paper wrappers around here.

Read a book by an Anthropologist who researched paper and styrofoam cups from beginning to end. It turned out that making a paper cup polluted less than styrofoam.

TTI’s, followed by QTP’s, followed by Dynomax Superturbos. Best of all worlds. No drone, rattle windows on demand. Happy neighbors.

Auto Transport Service
Back