• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam bearing - fix without pulling motor?

Lazerwolf

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
Trying to do my first camshaft replacement after a lifter/pushrod/cam failure. It's a 74 400 block if that matters. Getting it all tore down, I got to the camshaft. After struggling to get the old cam out for about 20-30 minutes, it dawned on me it would probably be easier if the fuel pump was removed. What a difference. I never tried to force it out, so I think I'm fine there. After getting the new cam ready and putting it in, which went in fairly easy, I started to put the lifters in. One lifter for cylinder 5 didn't look right, it just wasn't down far enough. Checking the issue, I found the the third journal cam bearing not in the right position and barely obstructing that lifter. The bearing is about 1/8-1/4" further in than it should be and turned about 1/4" so oil hole would not line up if just pushed back in. I assume I did this when installing the new cam but was surprised since it went in easy. Any way to move that bearing back without removing the whole engine? If so, what is the recommend tool to use? Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't use that bearing again, the risk of it spinning again is far to great I think.
If you have the access of a lathe, you can make a round disc ( have to be around 1/2 wide and the diameter just under the bore diameter).
I would also make a thread in the center.
fiddle it in and drive the bearing out using a longer bar and a hammer.
Never done it with engine in car, just an idea.

IMO it's much easier to pull the engine and leave the trans in the car. Then replace all the cam bearings while you're at it. If you go that route, just put a block of wood underneath the transmission to keep it from falling. It might be time consuming, but it would be easier with less cussing and cut up knuckles. And while the engine is out, might as well wash it, repaint it, and replace the motor mounts.

If it were me, I would pull the engine. To do it right, I would pull the crank too. Rods and pistons are fine left in place, but I need to verify the bearing's position by looking up the oiling hole to the mains from the cam bearing bore. It's larger job, but it's definately not something I'd want to try and fudge. The consequences will be a much bigger job...

Auto Transport Service
Back