• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alternator rear bearing install

dart14

Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
what is the correct installation depth of the rear bearing on a roundback alternator ? Should it sit flush to the rear case ?
Pic 1 is current alternator where bearing sticks out about 3/32 from rear case
Pic 2 shows inside of rear case where bearing is flush to inner case
Pic 3 is previous alternator where bearing is flush to rear of case
I dont want to hammer the bearing in any unless necessary. The unit spins freely and the bearings seem tight
P1010212.JPG

P1010214.JPG

P1010213.JPG

what is the correct installation depth of the rear bearing on a roundback alternator ? Should it sit flush to the rear case ?
Pic 1 is current alternator where bearing sticks out about 3/32 from rear case
Pic 2 shows inside of rear case where bearing is flush to inner case
Pic 3 is previous alternator where bearing is flush to rear of case
I dont want to hammer the bearing in any unless necessary. The unit spins freely and the bearings seem tight
View attachment 1602229

View attachment 1602235

View attachment 1602236
I've always PRESSED in the bearing flush with the case. IMO.....NEVER HAMMER THE BEARING...press it in while supporting the case to prevent damage to the case. Caged needle roller bearings are delecate. In addition, I always add a small dab of synthetic grease to the bearing's rollers, when reassembling the alternator.
BOB RENTON

I've always PRESSED in the bearing flush with the case. IMO.....NEVER HAMMER THE BEARING...press it in while supporting the case to prevent damage to the case. Caged needle roller bearings are delecate. In addition, I always add a small dab of synthetic grease to the bearing's rollers, when reassembling the alternator.
BOB RENTON
Also note the plastic shield on the end of the rotor which keeps grease from leaving the rear bearing area-it covers the bearing extending past the inside of the case. Another clue!
Mike

Also note the plastic shield on the end of the rotor which keeps grease from leaving the rear bearing area-it covers the bearing extending past the inside of the case. Another clue!
Mike
The seal is in the open end (shaft end) of the bearing, its elastomer is dependent on the manufacturer....be it Fafnir, Tortington, SKF or RBC.....usually it's synthetic rubber lkke EPDM or Viton......just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back