• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam's Dwayne Porter vs Bob K (Mr 6 Pack) Which would you run??

Well most all seem to really like BobK's six pack cam. At least that's what I hear alot. Myself I run a Dwayne Porter cam in my 63's eng and I love it. But my eng is not a stock type 440 six pack either. Everyone I talk with that runs one of Dwayne Porters cams seem to love it. I talked a long while with him about my combo and I like the fact he will take all the time you want to get all the info on your combo and what you want. He is also a very nice guy to deal with that knows what he is doing. He has tested and dyno'd a ton of combo's to see what works and as Al said he builds many of the Pure Stock and FAST engines. Honestly you most likely cant go wrong with either. I have never dealt with Bob K but all I hear is good about him. The custom grind flat tappet cam Dwayne made for me was also nitrided and I use EDM lifters on it and it works as good or better then I wanted it to. Ron

Nice to hear we still have some great guys in the marketplace that have not succumbed to the corporate business model of who cares.

Engine runs great and sounds great too. I would highly recommend Bob K cams
Great to hear, i broke bobs cam in last week, just fired it up to set idle and timing. Sounds strong cracking throttle. Was going to t ake it for drive but raining consistently here this weekend. Chevys and fords need asswhipped

I think if you're building a truly "stock" engine, the Bob K cam is tough to beat.

I've talked to Bob on the phone and through e-mail over the last 9-years. I bought one of his cams. Without me really knowing the guy, he gave me his work phone, home phone, and cell phone to call whenever I had a question about my build. I'm respectful of Bob's time and the timezone difference between us. I'm not calling him at one in the morning or anything weird like that, but this guy will drop whatever he is doing to talk Mopars everytime I've called him. Yeah, I guess you could say, I'm a Bob K fan.

I recently called him last week. He had just gotten back from the Pure Stock races and his Hemi 'Cuda ran an 11.68. Mind you, this isn't stock "appearing". THIS IS STOCK.

Stock heads (no porting or gasket matching allowed)
Stock valve sizes
Stock intake
Stock exhaust
Stock full exhaust system
Stock torque converter
Stock carbs
Stock polyglas tires
And Bob's certified cam

I'm sure the other guys will do a great job too, but when it comes to a "stock" Mopar, the knowledge gleaned from Tom Hover, and the decades of experience, gotta call Bob.

Read up more on the topic here:

http://sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com/mrsixpackhof.html

http://sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com/mrsixpack.html

Check out this video here:

If your interest is peaked after that, give him a call:

View attachment 444383

34997099153_afb70ec66a.jpg

I also have spoken to both Bob K and Dwayne and I would say both are really amazing people. I have seen and read the results of a stock looking engine and BoB K is a very great person spent all the time talking to me was very thorough. On the other hand Dwayne is pretty much the same helpful attitude and informative as Bob K but from what people tell me perhaps more in tune with non stock builds. Either one of these 2 great engine builders you will not go wrong. In the beginning of this thread I liked the comment "Chocolate or Vanilla" it was right on. I myself have been dealing with Tom @ TK Race in Montreal 514-920-0094 for a long time ever since his days with Ray Barton and I must tell you top notch performance and the same type of helpful advise, Heck my 451 with a mild 236 cam he specked out and TFS240 heads made 613HP and 625 TQ and in a 79 Magnum propelled it with street tires to 11.68 118 mph so I was very happy.
Capture.JPG

Yes I degree Bob K cam...
My car use 3.23 gear, I advance cam to 112*
4235558-Chaz-parts-440source-head-clock-MrSixpack-cam009.jpg

Yeah I'm interested in that to if you would be so kind.

Bob's camshaft specs aren't published or readily given by those who know. I personally don't have the info, but here are three hints below...

The Camshaft rules for the PSMCDR class Bob K races in:

"The camshaft must be correct for the year, model, and horsepower claimed for the type of lifter (hydraulic or solid). Roller cams NOT allowed. Duration at .050" lobe lift must be within 1% of factory specs. Lift at the valve must be within 2% of factory specs. Engines must be able to produce at least 16.0 inches of vacuum at 1200 rpm. However, some factory-produced engines were not able to generate 16.0 inches in showroom condition, so those cars will be given a variance to the rule. Solid-lifter cams lift checked at zero lash." - https://www.psmcdr.com/rules

And these two articles excerpts about Bob's cam from sixpacksixbbl.homestead:

"In the early 90s, after decades of camshaft experience, he wanted an alternative to the ‘Chevy core’ problem. In a nutshell major camshaft manufacturers were using cam cores designed for Chevy/GM cars in their Mopar offerings. Chevy/GMs have an 842 lifter diameter, Fords an 875 and Mopars a 904. Why grind a mopar cam on a core designed for another manufacturer? It sounds crazy but Crane and Comp (who make Mopar Performance cams) start with 842 Chevy cores. This definitely impacts throttle response and overall performance. Bob’s cams start as true 904 mopar lobes before adding his grind. Several successful A12 or six pack cars now in PSMCDR utilize Bob’s cam which develops power from taming lift not exaggerating it. At the 2005 A12 Reunion, in the midst of the busy day with commotion everywhere, I’ll never forget being alerted to the synchronicity of a subtle background purr. The quiet rhythm cut through the din like a knife. In its own unobtrusive way the idle of Bob’s car was deafening. But don’t let ‘tame’ fool you… it’s very, very effective. At a Martin event in 2006, 4 of the fastest 8 cars there were Mopars. It’s no mistake that all 4 of those Mopars were in some way influenced by Bob’s cam or his personal tuning help." - https://sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com/mrsixpackHOF.html

- AND ->

"Karakashian learned well from his mentor Tom Hoover. In doing so, he also accepted Hoover’s philosophy of freely sharing information. Speed “secrets” are not kept close to the vest, but openly shared with those willing to listen and learn. Karakashian’s first rule governing 440 Six Pack performance is not to over-cam. Most enthusiasts love to hear the rump-rump of a long duration cam with lots of overlap. He has found this to be counterproductive when running in a pure stock class with stock exhaust manifolds. Karakashian’s suggestion is to use a factory restoration cam. He has also experimented with several custom grinds that match the pure stock rules. He has installed a fairly conservative grind cam in his Six Pack Super Bee. He also suggests running the cam in the factory position or slightly retarded. Advancing the cam will add to the 440’s already powerful low-end torque. Karakashian suggests a 0 or –2 degree setting when installing the cam." - https://sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com/mrsixpack.html

Also, I called Bob to confirm that his cam will work with my 383 flat-top pistons that have no valve reliefs. As I recall, stock Six-Pack pistons had valve reliefs so I was a little concerned about interference. Bob said his cam lift would be fine in my application.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back