• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can’t deal with the carb so going MPI

ScottyG

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
How much I love the ole school feeling and what not of the car. I can’t stand ******* with a carburetor. So I’m going mpfi . Just waiting on parts now . The car will be on e85 with a flex fuel sensor so I can run 93oct and it will adjust on the fly .
I’m hoping to get the rest of the parts over winter time . everything is on back order unfortunately.

59070949-8866-4899-A982-7F5C15CB357F.jpeg

Fuel in injection works great IF it is designed and installed properly. My 70 has a throttle body FAST system that I used when I drove across country. Indispensable if you are going to drive a car regularly!

If you haven't planned on it, I STRONGLY suggest you get a fuel tank with the pump in it, and route a return line to the tank as well. Yes, this can be a royal pain in the a$$ to install, but is really a key part of the FI system people seem to overlook. Why is it important? Fuel pumps push, they don't suck. Also, the fuel in the tank keeps the fuel pump cool. There is a reason every new car has an in tank fuel pump! Also, the return line keeps fuel cool and helps assure the system has good, consistent pressure.

Best of luck with the swap!

Last edited:
Yes, more info please.
Are you going full Spark and Fuel control, what management system are you going with?
In Tank pump and and return line are a must. I run 2 3/8's lines.
I have installed 3 Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4s. Great system.
Engine.JPG
After.jpg
PF4 Install.jpg

I'm an old school carb guy, but I think in this case, go big or go home applies. If doing fuel injection, do it properly, listening to the advise of others on this forum who have done complete systems. Just my 2 cents. ruffcut

I agree with @HawkRod
This 12-314 does an internal pressure relief/regulator and does not use a return which is not optimal. I think for the extra few dollars when you’re already spending a couple grand you should consider the EFI tank too as there a sump/baffles welded into it to prevent starvation. I think The gel mat pictured here is a compromise

I am surprised Holley sells that.. I wouldn't use that on a Car I plan to drive Hard.. A commuter car with under 300 HP, maybe..

How much I love the ole school feeling and what not of the car. I can’t stand ******* with a carburetor. So I’m going mpfi . Just waiting on parts now . The car will be on e85 with a flex fuel sensor so I can run 93oct and it will adjust on the fly .
I’m hoping to get the rest of the parts over winter time . everything is on back order unfortunately.

View attachment 1192429
Don't let your car sit with ethanol fuel in the tank for more than a month.

I am surprised Holley sells that.. I wouldn't use that on a Car I plan to drive Hard.. A commuter car with under 300 HP, maybe..
I agree, even when I called them and asked about it the told me the other method with a full return is ‘preferred’

I'm an old car guy ..... as they were built...but carbs are very simple devices and work on the differential pressure principles. But it depends on which type of carb is in question...be it a Holley, or an origional Carter or one of the aftermarket Carter derritives. There are volumes of books and manuals published about the how's and why's of carburetor operation and tuning techniques....by brand name and model and flow rates.
BUT....IMO...EFI's are not the panacea to fix all problems. It's refreshing to see that you are using a port injection system vs a simpler Throttle Body Injection or TBI. BUT, what type of injection system are you using? A Multi Point Injection system (MPI) or Sequential Port Injection system (SPI) as the two systems operate totally different.
An MPI system turns on all injectors at the same time for a time interval of 1/N, where N = the number of engine cylinders. An SPI system turns on the injector a millisecond b4 the intake valve opens. The SPI system is more complex as it requires cam/valve position indication, fuel flow measurement, air flow measurement as well as air & coolant temp, engine RPM, vehicle MPH, engine load as Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP), spark advance, crankshaft position sensor (for event timing), transmission gear engagement.....just like the new cars, except the new vehicles MEASURE the air flow, and fuel density, to make the fuel calculations.
An MPI system is far superior to a TBI system. Most MPI systems use a "speed density" program that uses preprogrammed operating data points to perform the fuel calculations based several sensor variables. The system usually has an O2 sensor to adjust air/ruel ratios. Sometimes this system uses variable preprogrammed spark advance points to provide good engine performance with usually a Peizo electric accelerometer (knock or detonation sensors) to regard spark advance. Some of these operating variables are user adjustable via a laptop computer.
A word of caution.....make sure you understand how the system operates....most retrofit systems require "tweeking" to your application. Plus require a multitude of fuel delivery options and requirements. Personally, if I wanted a "state of the art" system....I'd buy a new vehicle and learn how to get my carb system squared away...... Just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

Yes, more info please.
Are you going full Spark and Fuel control, what management system are you going with?
In Tank pump and and return line are a must. I run 2 3/8's lines.
I have installed 3 Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4s. Great system.
View attachment 1192509 View attachment 1192510 View attachment 1192511
Yes I’m not new to the horsepower world had buick t-type on e-85 and 800rwhp crown Vic on e-85 .
I’m Using the Holley tank and sending unit . Putting in a 525lph pump in tank instead of the 400 they offer .. using a holly 1050cfm thottle body and Holley terminator x stand alone

Don't let your car sit with ethanol fuel in the tank for more than a month.
Im only 29 and been running e-85 in my cars for so long. Yes it can cause **** . But I usually always get my injectors clean in the beginning of the year and change out fuel filter .
E-85 is life around here we don’t mess with nothing esle . All my buddies run e-85 as well all high horsepower cars

I'm an old school carb guy, but I think in this case, go big or go home applies. If doing fuel injection, do it properly, listening to the advise of others on this forum who have done complete systems. Just my 2 cents. ruffcut
Yea thanks for the input . Im doing -8 feed and -8 return on a Holley regulator . Im not new to the horsepower world but new to the b-bodys I finally follow in my dad foot steps I grew up in his 69 roadrunner and it was time to get one

Im only 29 and been running e-85 in my cars for so long. Yes it can cause **** . But I usually always get my injectors clean in the beginning of the year and change out fuel filter .
E-85 is life around here we don’t mess with nothing esle . All my buddies run e-85 as well all high horsepower cars
The problem as stated is not running fresh E85 through multiple tanks of gas but letting it sit for long periods allowing it to break down in your fuel system.

You'll thank me later.

Auto Transport Service
Back