• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell what these holes might have been for?

I save the plugs that come in the fitting holes of power steering pumps when you buy them, so I think I'm just going to use one of them (if I have a size that fits).

The hardware store in my town just carries cork style rubber hole plugs.

It probably wouldn't hurt to just buy a bulk of rubber hole plugs in various sizes so I have them on hand in case I need them.

That's a new one on me, have had my car since 83 and never saw anything like that under there. The larger hole has had a factory plug installed in it since I have owned the car.

My 1971 was originally a 318 automatic car & it has it.
upload_2021-10-14_6-58-6.png

I've seen quite a few of but only on non-hp cars. None of my 338, 400 and 440 HP cars had one. Surprise to hear that some of you have HP cars with one.

20190805_085501.jpg 20190805_085442.jpg

I have a weight like that but it’s attach to tail of trans

I have a weight like that but it’s attach to tail of trans
That's another one. And there are at least 3 diff designs I'm aware of and weights for that

I've seen quite a few of but only on non-hp cars. None of my 338, 400 and 440 HP cars had one. Surprise to hear that some of you have HP cars with one.

View attachment 1179533 View attachment 1179534

Well as I mentioned mine got it. I guess being 400 Magnum still for 74 could be considered an HP car? Sure mine wasn't assembled in USA

71Beeper what is that hole in the side of the hump? Also did you install frame connectors?
MoparMarks, the hole in the side of the hump was for the speedo cable as the car had a Gear Vendors unit on it when I bought it. The deal was I had to give the Gear Vendors unit back along with the rest of the drivetrain as I had my own drivetrain for it. Good thing the hole size was perfect for a floor plug to fit in it.
And yes, there are frame connectors and front & rear torque boxes added.
Dec 9 (10).jpg

Here's a shot of the underside when I finished sand blasting it and applying epoxy primer.

My 71 Roadrunner 383 HP Auto came with one of these weights, I puzzled over it back in the nineties and it looked like it belonged there so I figured it must be something for vibration or weight balance, I checked the rubber bushings and they were fine so I put it back together and forgot about it. Haven’t thought about it until this thread caught my attention. There’s another thread from 2017 regarding a 73 Charger but it fizzled out rather quickly: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/vibration-damper.137930/. As per 72RoadrunnerGTX in post # 3 of that thread: “vibration damper for the body of the car”, that’s exactly what it is, noise inducing vibration.”
I vaguely remembered seeing a picture of this weight in a manual so I did some digging in the parts catalogs available on MyMopar.

It’s not clear whether it applies to 70 or 71 cars but the 70/71 catalog shows Damper/Weight 3466713 on Text Page 23-61 for 318 & 383 engines with no indication for HP/non-HP or transmission type on what looks like Satellite, Charger & Plymouth 4 door models and Station Wagons only. So far we all have 2 door models, with and without the weight...
upload_2021-10-23_17-37-50.png

In the 1972-1974 parts catalogs Damper/Weight 3466721 is listed for all the possible B-Bodies, no indication for engine or transmission type that I can see.
upload_2021-10-23_17-39-19.png

upload_2021-10-23_17-40-13.png

In 1974 they added Weight 3642923 for A-Bodies and updated the illustration.
upload_2021-10-23_17-41-36.png

My 72 small block charger has both dampers, tail shaft mounted round one and tunnel mounted I’ve always figured they were there for a reason so they stayed. I’ve owned it for 25 years.

Auto Transport Service
Back