• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell what these holes might have been for?

vegiguy

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
These are holes I found on the ledge that the front of the seat cushion sits on on my '73 RR project:
upload_2021-10-8_20-38-16.png
I can't find anything in my collection of parts from the car that looks like it could go there, both over and under the floor. I need to figure out what to do with these holes because I obviously don't want to just leave them so water can get in if this car gets driven in the rain, which I hope never happens. I'm thinking if there isn't anything that really needs to be there I'll just weld little patches in them.

Sorry, I meant to say the holes are under the front of the REAR seat cushion.

Not a real descriptive picture. Are the hooks that lock the bottom seat cushion in place?

And, holes are used for manufacturing jigs for location purposes, structure strengthening, and drainage. Depending on location, of course.

1 Wild RT is definitely correct.
My 73 parts car had the dampening weight. I think I still have it. I assume its to reduce floor vibrations. Its a heavy thing. I'd weld up the holes & move on.

Anyone have a picture of the dampening weight? I'm surprised I haven't run across it. This car came with a trunk-full of parts when I got it. Someone had started fixing it up and made a real mess of things in the process: no organization or labeling of parts whatsoever. Hard telling if the weight is there or not, but like you say if it isn't I'll just weld the holes shut and not worry about.

Thanks for the input.

It's a big chunk of cast iron that sort of follows the curve of the tunnel & curves to allow clearance for the driveshaft.... Lotta them got tossed cause noone understood what it's there for & it's just un-needed weight..

A weight to dampen vibration....
The weight must have been a 73 only item as both of my 74 Chargers have those holes but no weight. Back two holes are filled with seam sealer and then black sealer smeared over them. The front hole has a rubber plug in it. Both cars done identical.

Rear Tunnel Plugs 1.jpg

The weight must have been a 73 only item as both of my 74 Chargers have those holes but no weight. Back two holes are filled with seam sealer and then black sealer smeared over them. The front hole has a rubber plug in it. Both cars done identical.

View attachment 1177307
That might have been what was done with this car because I haven't seen anything resembling a concave shaped weight in the parts that came with this car.

Looks kinda like this...
20211009_155050.jpg

Not all cars had them, typically small block automatics. If it came with the weight there would have been a stud plate welded and seam sealed to the floor on the inside, studs protruding down through bushings in the weight. Clearly the stud plate is missing, good indication that car never had it. Seal the holes up.

IMG_0317.JPG

Damper.jpg

Last edited:
My 71 has one. 383 HP Auto car.

Edit: pic of the plate from the top.

IMG_1889.jpg

Last edited:
Guess my '74 SE Brougham (400 four barrel with 727) got left out of that one. The two back holes are full of body filler/seam sealer and the front hole has a body plug installed.

The car I saw one on was a 71 383-4 Auto Roadrunner

Seems they didn't make their way into stick shift cars for some reason. This car has 4-on-the-floor now, so whatever reason they were used on auto trans cars doesn't apply to it now anyway.

I'm planning to plug the large hole and fill the two smaller holes with seam sealer as mentioned above as soon as I can find a suitable plug. It's a shame you can't find depressed center rubber plugs - like Chrysler used - at auto parts or hardware stores.

I know you can find that kind of plugs at certain hardware stores. They are available on the web... usually by bulks thought!

Auto Transport Service
Back