• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can automotive clear over polished aluminum?

cj's mopar

Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
Trying to restore my tail panel and the anodized has been removed , was thinking about clear coating with automotive clear . Will this work over polished aluminum.
Is there anything specific that needs to be done to get clear to stick to polished aluminum?

you could try a clear adhesion promotor such as "Bulldog"....... will it work? not much risk in trying

31fU5quK1qS._AC_.jpg

I have used bully dog before on plastic bumpers it did not seem to lay down smooth.
I don't think I would be good on a tail panel that is polished . Maybe some one has done it ?

whenever i used bulldog it was a very light, thin coat........ i would think the clear would flow out pretty smooth, you could also sand the clear and recoat or polish....... if it goes bad, soak it in thinner and go to plan B..........just a few thoughts

I'd lean more towards a clear powdercoat before I'd consider a clear paint. The big problem with aluminum is it starts to corrode almost instantly - its just the nature of the beast. Its recommended to prime bare aluminum with a zinc primer (yellow) to promote adhesion. I think "adhesion promoter" is primarily for use on plastics. If I were going the powdercoat route I'd do one last polish then do my best to seal it in a plastic wrap to go to the coater. Or call them and ask what they suggest. If there is any paint detail work to be done on the panel, this would have to be done AFTER the powdercoat.

Cerakote looks like a good option! Price is right for sure !!

It took some testing on junk to get it right but the stuff is hard as a rock and looks as good as anodized. They also send a nice tech document on preparation and spraying with it.

Urethane clear will work great, but as Stanton said, once you polish it, you have to move fast
because aluminum oxidizes quickly. Simple green cleans the oxide off of aluminum! Use it, then
quickly rinse with water, dry, and apply the clear Urethane. Done!

Why put anything over it? I did multiple trim peices removing the anodized coat and did not replace it. It's been on the cars for over five years, no problem.

Well I polished it and it dulled out just sitting in garage so before I install on car I wanted to see if it could be sealed
Why put anything over it? I did multiple trim peices removing the anodized coat and did not replace it. It's been on the cars for over five years, no problem.

Well I polished it and it dulled out just sitting in garage so before I install on car I wanted to see if it could be sealed

I could go out and take photos right now and it's as shiny as when I first finished it. I touch it up for car shows and that's it. Not sure why you're having problems.

Stripped, sanded, polished, painted and the shiny parts are wiped with MAAS from time to time.

beerestoration2019 485.JPG

3 years on the car now and it still looks the same...

Most adhesion promoters or etches will alter the color of the metal.

There are a FEW 2k clear coats out there that are DTM. I belive Eastwood makes one.

But for the most part the majority of automotive clear coats will not bond directly to metal . It will basically just be sitting on top of the metal / aluminum. Having it polished will make it even worse since there is no "tooth" and even less for it to grab onto. Like trying to clear coat a piece of glass.

Search for clear coat has DTM properties other than that your wasting your time and money

Auto Transport Service
Back