• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can i save this seat?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
About 1 year ago i paid a guy to fix a rip in the passenger seat of my 69 charger.
I wasn't really happy with the result (the before and afters on his website looked way better)
but it was OK and i thought at least it will stop the seat from coming further apart.

WRONG.

After only about 1 year and really just a few times using the seat it already came back apart.
(It's not looking to bad in the picture but if you push the leather down it opens up somewhat further.)

My question is,
Is it possible to fix it so that it's not coming apart any further and without looking worse than it already does?
If so what method will accomplish long term success?
Or do i have to replace the whole seat cover with a legendary one at some point? I'm afraid to end up with multiple shades of green then.

I also included a picture showing how it looked right after the repair.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

IMG_0556.JPG

My rear seat in my 70 Charger is doing the exact same thing in a couple of spots also.

From what I know there is nothing you can do too fix it so you cannot see it.
If the material is original it is 50 years old.

ithe actual face panel of the seat needs to be replaced, as its old material and its torn along the stitch line, it cannot be repaired in a nice manner, find a good trimmer he shouldn't have a problem replacing that,

My folks bought me a leather jacket for HS graduation (brother got a new 69 Dart GT for his) and it was quite crispy after 50+ years. I found Pecards Leather Dressing online and I'm really impressed with the results after using it. Now it's on all my leather goods.
Mike

My folks bought me a leather jacket for HS graduation (brother got a new 69 Dart GT for his) and it was quite crispy after 50+ years. I found Pecards Leather Dressing online and I'm really impressed with the results after using it. Now it's on all my leather goods.
Mike

Unfortunately it's vinyl not leather. Only the SE cars had leather inserts as far as i know.

From what I know there is nothing you can do too fix it so you cannot see it.

What would be the least visible fix?
Or is there really nothing i can do except replacing the whole seat cover?

Vinyl welding is probably your best bet - or leave it alone you may make it worse!!

Vinyl welding is probably your best bet - or leave it alone you may make it worse!!

I just fear it will get worse doing nothing aswell since the seat will be used.

It will get worse over time - but maybe that is better than throwing money at it and still not being happy?
You can never make old material new again unfortunately.
Make sure anyone who sits there does not have wallets and phones in their pockets.
Don't let them sit on the seat belt buckles either these "punch through" old vinyl.

If you can get repop covers, just do it. I did mine 10 years ago myself, and don't claim to be an upholsterer. Had both front and rear done in an afternoon. Plenty of YouTubes on it. Money well spent in my opine.

Time for new covers. Material is toast. Whisky and beer farts seem to cause material degrading.

The sad thing is the interior is in very good condition otherwise.
No cracks, rips etc. and does not appear to be brittle/dried out at all except this region.
I just noticed it again yesterday.

When i bought the car i did not see this in the pictures, i'm 99% sure it wasn't there.
When i picked the car up from the shop in germany i saw it (and the car) for the first time. I can't prove it but i'm pretty sure they ruined my seat.
Someone probably took a seat with a sharp tool in his pocket or something...

Replacing the passenger seat cover or even all front covers seems just so overkill because of the otherwise great shape that their in.

My biggest fear is to end up with different shades of green.
I'd rather live with the rip in the seat than being able to see the front seats have been redone because they stand out from the rest of the interior.

Well maybe i really should try vinyl welding since the material seems to be in good shape otherwise.
Might should consult a few car upholstery shops.

For the legendary covers:
How does this work? Do they always come pre dyed?
I think they would have to be custom dyed in order to blend in with the rest of the interior?

Legendary comes pre-dyed. A good upholsterer could put in a new insert and make it look like new. The problem would be accessing the correctly grained material, then you would have to dye it to match. Maybe check with an old time upholsterer local to you if possible.

The sad thing is the interior is in very good condition otherwise.
No cracks, rips etc. and does not appear to be brittle/dried out at all except this region.
I just noticed it again yesterday.

When i bought the car i did not see this in the pictures, i'm 99% sure it wasn't there.
When i picked the car up from the shop in germany i saw it (and the car) for the first time. I can't prove it but i'm pretty sure they ruined my seat.
Someone probably took a seat with a sharp tool in his pocket or something...

Replacing the passenger seat cover or even all front covers seems just so overkill because of the otherwise great shape that their in.

My biggest fear is to end up with different shades of green.
I'd rather live with the rip in the seat than being able to see the front seats have been redone because they stand out from the rest of the interior.

Well maybe i really should try vinyl welding since the material seems to be in good shape otherwise.
Might should consult a few car upholstery shops.

For the legendary covers:
How does this work? Do they always come pre dyed?
I think they would have to be custom dyed in order to blend in with the rest of the interior?
Just info wise, you've got time to try to fix it. Talked to Legendary at Carlisle, minimum 40 weeks out on back orders. I'm in the same position, trying to get car ready for MCACN.

A good upholsterer could put in a new insert and make it look like new. The problem would be accessing the correctly grained material, then you would have to dye it to match.
Then you'd have a new panel on a 50 year old seat, what about the rest of the covering being old??? When that going to split??
I used to do this type of work for a living, doing stitches was the hardest to make look good, PERIOD! Let's be honest here, when you cut yourself and have to have stitches, do you wind up not having a scar? It's a repair, not a replacement, there will always be a scar no matter what! How dried out is the other seat, and when's that one going to take a dump? Just talk yourself out of a repair and into replacement, you'll be happier in the end! Good Luck

Auto Transport Service
Back