• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can I swap 8.25 brakes????

Bens69PlymouthSatellite

Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Can I swap 8.25 brakes to an 8.75 rear end,I was just curious I have heard you can but wanna find out for sure, for the same year 69 satellite,any info is appreciated,thanks alot for all of your help!

The shoes just need to match the drum. Use the backing plate from the set up and order brakes from the donor car for a "For certain" match up. I did this on many cars. Most recently;

A 7-1/4 to a 8-1/4 rear swap that used 9-1/4 brake set up. I just ordered brake parts for a 79 Cordoba. Worked great on a 74 Duster.

The shoes just need to match the drum. Use the backing plate from the set up and order brakes from the donor car for a "For certain" match up. I did this on many cars. Most recently;

A 7-1/4 to a 8-1/4 rear swap that used 9-1/4 brake set up. I just ordered brake parts for a 79 Cordoba. Worked great on a 74 Duster.

Does this mean his 8 1/4 backing plates and drums will bolt up to the 8 3/4 rear? I think that was his question. I'm curious to know the answer (though haven't researched it yet).

Hey im pretty new at this! ive spent the last year learning engines,rear ends,and little ****,brakes are new to me and suspension and Im learning as I go,I was basically asking what manifold said about the backing plates and drums,and what parts interchange and what will not, sorry if I am fairly naive to the whole brake thing,like I said im learning.

No worries, I'm still learning and I've been doing it for years. I was just thinking you were planning some sort of rear disc conversion when you mentioned Wilwood.

Can I swap 8.25 brakes to an 8.75 rear end,I was just curious I have heard you can but wanna find out for sure, for the same year 69 satellite,any info is appreciated,thanks alot for all of your help!
8 3/4 has 5 axle flange bolts where the backing plate bolt, 8 1/4 has 4.
If you drill the 5th hole in the backing plate, or knock out the 5th stud, yes they will bolt up and work fine. I would drill the 5th hole before loosing a stud myself.

Besides drilling a 5th hole what else would I have to do if anything to make this set up work? will a machine shop drill my 5th hole or should I do it? I would think a machine shop would be better since they have a drill press.

Auto Transport Service
Back