• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of rusty worms

I don't know how you guys do it up north. Glad the weather is breaking and you got her out of hibernation. Glad she's running well, enjoy!

Ordered an advance plate and spring kit from FBO. Now my mechanical advance is more accurate. I found the FBO plate to be off 2 degrees though. The engine seems to like 16 initial and 18 advance starting around 1800 to all in at 2500.

View attachment 765915 View attachment 765916

I found the same thing on the Coronet and Duster. I reality initial is not all that important. I just set it when all in to 34 and let the initial be whatever it turned out to be. Any improvement is better than the 2 it was from the factory ;)

I don't know how you guys do it up north. Glad the weather is breaking and you got her out of hibernation. Glad she's running well, enjoy!

It's a trade off for the stupid hot weather you guys endure down there I guess.
I've been reading your posts Mark. I can't seem to spin my wheels so easily as you are. My car just seems to hook and go with a slight kick out sideways when I shift to 2nd. I may drive her to an armdrop race event this weekend for some fun!

Test drive to a local car club meet was fine as was a two hour drive to moparfest. Temperature stays at 195 on the highway at 3200rpm but crept up to 205-210 when idling for any length of time in the afternoon. I think the 22" rad might be a bit small for this engine so I will probably add a pusher fan.

Before i moved the fan
View attachment 640788

After

View attachment 640777 View attachment 640776
Just my 2 cents but if it maintains 195 on the freeway but gets hot idling your fan or shroud are the issue not the radiator, you need more air moving. Wish I could point you to a certain setup but I just threw twin Spal electric fans on mine and was done with it. I'd suggest possibly going to a smaller water pump/fan pulley then put a thermal clutch fan on it that way your increasing the fan cfm but not eating up horsepower at cruising speeds. Just my thought

It's a trade off for the stupid hot weather you guys endure down there I guess.
I've been reading your posts Mark. I can't seem to spin my wheels so easily as you are. My car just seems to hook and go with a slight kick out sideways when I shift to 2nd. I may drive her to an armdrop race event this weekend for some fun!

Hooking up is good, that's ultimately what you want. I have 2 sets of tires, Coopers and Nittos. The Coopers are more fun and way easier to spin but obviously aren't going to win many races.

As for initial and total timing, I set the initial for best vacuum and then set the mechanical. I feel doing total first you leave some drive and idle quality on the table.

I still believe a wider rad would make a difference as this engine seems to produce more heat than I expected. With current temperatures sitting around 60F, the engine struggles to open the 180 stat. Perhaps it is now tuned better than last summer...
I added a 16" derale pusher fan which helps when outside temps are in the 90s. The shroud may be a bit shallow at 1" deep, so Ive contemplated spacing it out more and moving the fan accordingly. No room for a clutch fan unfortunately.
Had to upgrade the alternator with a powermaster unit and wiring of course. Idle voltage is much better now.

20180830_172316.jpg 20180830_172321.jpg 20180902_165221.jpg

She turned out fantastic. I hope the clouds part and the sun shines through so you can go rip up the roads Glen.

Glenwood, you have done such a great job and I want to thank you for the help with my project. As I have learned alot from your thread.

She turned out fantastic. I hope the clouds part and the sun shines through so you can go rip up the roads Glen.

Mark, if all goes well, I may drive to an armdrop racing event tomorrow for some fun and hopefully not break anything!
I still have work ahead with the interior and needs fresh paint...one day. Hoping to get it to run well and stay cool.
The old girl looks pretty good topless lol.

A beautiful car - well done!

Now go enjoy it with the top down!!

Auto Transport Service
Back