• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can Someone Explain what Is Happening Here...

JG71B

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
71 charger, power brakes, 11 inch rear, why is this brake cylinder pin cocked the way it is? I've replaced shoes springs, cylinders several times and this keeps happening. This is the side I seem to have the most trouble with as far as grabbing or having to back it off because the drum is getting too hot under normal driving conditions. This was a 10 inch rear brake car with a 8 1/4 rear end and I swapped in an 8 3/4 out of a 71 RT with 11 inch brakes. I think the only thing I didn't have at the time were the pins for the cylinders and the keepers for the shoes where the on the 11 inch rear end, so I used the pins from the rear end I took out with the 10-in brakes other than that I don't see what could be the problem. The driver side does not do this at all and both pins push on the shoes horizontally and do not angle upwards like this one. Emergency brake is not hooked up but not in the way and I cannot find any obstructions. Help! I'm at a loss over something so small....
20221024_201034.jpg

Why do you not have the emergency brake hooked up ? By this hardware not being hooked up , might allow that shoe on that side to move around. Maybe ? Also it looks like from your picture, the self adjuster is extended a lot. Do you have fresh drums ?

Why do you not have the emergency brake hooked up ? By this hardware not being hooked up , might allow that shoe on that side to move around. Maybe ? Also it looks like from your picture, the self adjuster is extended a lot. Do you have fresh drums ?
I had to finish putting in the pedal and just never got to it. The other side is just fine without the E brake hooked up I don't see what gives. It's only the passenger side that gives issues. Fresh (about 3k miles now) everything both sides

This is a long shoot , but you may try this. Move everything from each side and swop them out completely and see if the problem move to the other side.

Hard to tell exactly what the problem is from
a pic. To fathom a guess, I would say you
have a brake shoe hanging up on the backing
plate, or your wheel cylinder has too short
of travel. Looks like it's over extended.
Did you place a small dab of grease where
the shoe contacts the plate?

If you put the front shoe on without the pin is it a straight shot? Looks like the shoe is made wrong because everything else looks correct.

You answered your own questions in the first post. The parking brake holds tension on one shoe. If the tension is off, the self adjuster can run the shoes too tight. OR, you have a groove in the backing plate, or a LH adjuster on the right side of the car.

It might be an illusion but the wheel cylinder appears to be sagging down. Are the mounting holes for it in the backing plate enlarged or “slotted “ ?
As already said here , the brake shoe slot for the wheel cylinder pin could be off.

After expanding the photo , appears to be wrong adjustor , or wrong side adjustor, it appears to be adjusted way out , adjustor is designed to work when backing up, so it could be working going forward! Change the adjustor for another, that is correct for the side! Maybe!

After expanding the photo , appears to be wrong adjustor , or wrong side adjustor, it appears to be adjusted way out , adjustor is designed to work when backing up, so it could be working going forward! Change the adjustor for another, that is correct for the side! Maybe!
:nutkick:

It might be an illusion but the wheel cylinder appears to be sagging down. Are the mounting holes for it in the backing plate enlarged or “slotted “ ?
As already said here , the brake shoe slot for the wheel cylinder pin could be off.
It looks off
Screenshot_20221026-120138.png
to me too

Chances are those emergency brake cables are rusted in-place to fit the 10" brakes and now with the 11" installed are holding just enough pressure on that forward shoe to raise it up against the drum, ( I think I can see this in your Pic ). Last spring I helped my SIL do this exact swap on his 72 Satellite and we had this problem too. I finally ripped it back apart and soaked the E-brake cables in penetrating oil till I could slide them easily. Solved the problem and now his E-brakes work correctly too.

Chances are those emergency brake cables are rusted in-place to fit the 10" brakes and now with the 11" installed are holding just enough pressure on that forward shoe to raise it up against the drum, ( I think I can see this in your Pic ). Last spring I helped my SIL do this exact swap on his 72 Satellite and we had this problem too. I finally ripped it back apart and soaked the E-brake cables in penetrating oil till I could slide them easily. Solved the problem and now his E-brakes work correctly too.
E brake cables are rust free and not yet hooked up. Everything is new also

Everything is new also
So the parking brake lever, strut and cable through the backing plate are all new? I think I would try assembling everything with the strut removed and see how it looked, it might change the angle of the pins. Sometimes new parts need a little attention...

It's impossible to tell from the pics but could the parking brake lever be touching the back side of the rear shoe where the cable attaches?

Strut is correct etc. I took the shoes bavk off and used my Dremel and took about a 1/8" more off the notch where the cylinder pins go.. I looked at s few other sets and an old original set and it seems the notch isn't always machined 100%. Once I did that the pin sat much better. I re adjusted everything and so far so good. Thank guys. Trust me I've tried everything plus what was mentioned. Anything Chinese made is simply garbage anymore I swear...last set, the linings were set too far forward and would grab no matter how they were adjusted

We are all assuming that the shoes are the correct way around - remember there is a leading edge, and a trailing edge.

Auto Transport Service
Back