• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this be fixed?

aldal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
I was replacing my instrument cluster when I broke off one of the circuit board connectors (I think for the right side signals etc.) can this be fixed or should I order a new circuit board? Thanks for any information that can be offered.
June 2014 016.jpgJune 2014 017.jpgJune 2014 017.jpg

I would give it a shot; it looks repairable to me. Of course you will need a soldering iron and resin core solder which is probably what was used to connect the broken pin at the factory. The worst that could happen is getting a new board.

I would have another circuit board to have on hand.... I have a spare cluster that's been reconditioned....

Actually when you try and solder that pin back on you will degrade the surface coating from the heat and loose any continuity for that circuit. The coating for the circuit boards is actually a rosin base so heat will degrade it. DAMHIK this but after trying it myself, decided it wasn't going to work so I ordered a replacement. What year and make by the way is that dash cluster for? If it is a 66/67 Dodge/Plymouth then I have several available and there is an eBay site that sells all of them...cr8crshr/Tuck

http://stores.ebay.com/Mr-Heaterbox-PremiumDashDecals?_rdc=1

Thank for all the good advice. Its out of my 65 Coronet and I was worried about damaging the board when soldering it so I think I will order a new one and just be done with it. Thanks again, Al

If you're already planning on getting a new one, you have nothing to lose by trying the solder. :) That silver solder I mentioned has a pretty low melting point.

I can solder that no problem. Use the 60/40 tin lead rosin core and scrape the coating off the copper trace before you do anything. You need bare clean copper! Start by tinning the area on the board, which is wetting the broken pin area with solder. You will know when you have done a good job when the solder wets the surface and capillaries. Do the same cleaning and tinning treatment to the broken pin. once both are tinned, put the soldering iron on the trace and hold the pin in position. The heat from the iron will transfer to the pin through mechanical contact and the two parts will be bonded. If you have trouble getting the solder to wet the trace you may need to use some acid flux. Just wipe off the residue when you're done.

I repaired one like that years ago. It worked fine, but I eventually bought a new one when I could afford it.

I have already ordered a new one but just for kicks I am going to try fixing this one and if successful using it for a while and keeping my new one as a spare. Thanks guys, Al

Auto Transport Service
Back