• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can't get a rear axle out of the housing

jeff ashley

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
I was going to remove the chunk out of my rear and I cant get the rt axle out. I tried a 3 lb slide hammer. It moved about half the width of the bearing and now it sounds metal to metal. The axle bearing hasnt spun and I tried heat to no avail. Twisted axle maybe? Anyone encountered this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks jeff

I read it but was a lil confused. What studs did he remove? I know the wheel studs couldnt stop removal.

I wouldn't worry much about what he did to correct, more for the advice that was given.

That's an odd problem to have. I have never seen an axle that wouldn't slide out. I would try putting a crowbar between the axle flange and backing plate and see if you can pry it out.

Thanks guys, I tried prying in between plate and housing to no avail. Im gonna take chunk loose like referred to in link next. Every person I talked to for advise today said same th8ng, ive never seen that before.

Will it push back in i would check to see if something has got jamed on the inner side of axle.

You can tap it and it will slide back in fairly easy. I needed to pull it because the chunk is broke so I dont know if a piece of metal is hanging it up.

I would shove it back in n try moving it to check for binding or to hear or feel metal inside.maybe just moving it out a little at a time will dislodge something thats in there. Dont forget if its a broken piece of axle it pretty hard metal to be pounding loose.

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO I MUST THANK YOU N YOUR DAD FOR WEB ON GA MOPAR CLUB SENT A EMAIL AND GOT A POSTIVE RESPONSE ALLREADY. LOOKING FORWARD TO SOME GOOD INFO ON CAR

One trick I've read about is to take your brake drum, flip it around backwards, slide it over the studs, snug some lug nuts on the studs, then grab the brake drum to pull the axle out.

One trick I've read about is to take your brake drum, flip it around backwards, slide it over the studs, snug some lug nuts on the studs, then grab the brake drum to pull the axle out.

That worked for me when I did it. Like a big slide hammer.

That won't work if the 3lb slide hammer wouldn't.

The thrust button could be lodged in there. Mine was broken in two and lying in the bottom of the housing but my axles came out easy.

See photo:

Trash in the rear diff housing.jpgTrash in the rear diff housing-002.jpg

I took the whole rear out, took the nuts off holding the chunk in and pryed the chunk forward a lil. The carrier is real rusted. Im gonna assume since the car sat up since 78 its prob rusted in there. Gonna add some weight to the slide hammer and see if it will come.

Does the chunk has a SureGrip in it?

no its an open rear so i couldnt drive from the other side because of the pin

no its an open rear so i couldnt drive from the other side because of the pin
All of them have thrust pins. I was going to make a suggestion if it were a SureGrip but.....anyways, if it's rusting inside, then that might be why you're having an issue but it doesn't seem possible. I've pulled apart rusty rears before and didn't have any problems getting the axles out. The only thing I can think of is maybe the axle is rusted to the splines on the side gear inside the chuck but man, I've been messing with rear ends for over 30 years and have never run across that. You might contact Dr. Diff over on that 'other' board :D and see if he has any ideas. The only other thing that I can think of is the axle bearing is so messed up that it won't let the axle come out. I'm following this thread for sure lol

Auto Transport Service
Back