• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I get these type of control arm bushings in????

Just a suggestion, but try using
baby powder as your lubricant.
Silicon can swell the rubber enough
to change the bushings physical
properties, ie...its' diameter.
Ouch, I wish I'd known that.

I am trying to get a new set from the supplier.

David

Just an update. Four replacements are on their way from the UK but they are the same diameter as the ones I already failed with - 1 1/16" or about 1.06". As a reminder - the holes in the control arms are 1" dia..

BUT the supplier tested them in the spare control arms he has in stock and discovered that, although all the control arms have the same part number cast into them , some of them have 1" holes (like mine) and some have 1.05" holes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems likely the 1.06" bushings are designed to fit into the 1.05" holes. Incredibly bad practice by Bristol Cars to use the same part number for the slightly, but critically, different versions of the control arm.

So, I am experimenting on the damaged ones that I have to see if I can sand a bit off the diameter, say to 1.02". If it works, I may do that to the replacements when they get here. If that fails, I will see if the local machine shop think they can lathe them down or can machine the control arms holes out to 1.05".

David

Get out the beer! Well, that might be a bit premature but I got one of the bushings into an upper control arm today!!!!!!!

lower control arm bushings 3.jpg

I used the better of the two bushings left that were not totally mangled by my previous attempts to fit them. I fitted it on a section of 1/2" threaded rod and put the rod in the chuck of an electric drill. The drill was rigidly mounted horizontally in my trusty, 40+ year old Black and Decker Workmate. Then, turning the bushing with the drill, I sanded it down using a sanding block fitted with 150 grit wet and dry until I got the overall diameter down from 1 1/16" to 1 1/32". I had frozen the bushing but it actually seemed to sand better as it warmed up.

It still needed a good greasing and a lot of pressure from the table vise but it's in!

The 4 replacement bushings arrived in customs in New York today. So they will probably be here this week and will then get the same treatment but I may use 220 grit to sand a bit more cautiously.

David

Just read your whole thread David. Congratulations on overcoming your OEM replacement parts variations. Glad you were able get her done. No lathe but you were able make it work. I'm so glad I have one and a mill for fine tuning some of the OEM parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back