• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can't get leaf springs in without jack

harleydodgeman

Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
well the title says it all.. I have old superstock springs that i am trying to put in a 64 fury. I relocated the springs in. when i go to install them i have to put a jack underneath the spring to get it to flatten out enough to install the shackle but it is TIGHT. Once installed, the shackle is completely against the frame with the rear end hanging freely.. (car on lift). when i lower it, the shackles go down to straight, but i have to push them down. does this sound normal for a typical leaf spring installation? shouldn't they just bolt in up front and on the shackle fairly easily? Also what is the shackle angle supposed to be at when the rear end is hanging freely. this is really pissing me off. thanks

well the title says it all.. I have old superstock springs that i am trying to put in a 64 fury. I relocated the springs in. when i go to install them i have to put a jack underneath the spring to get it to flatten out enough to install the shackle but it is TIGHT. Once installed, the shackle is completely against the frame with the rear end hanging freely.. (car on lift). when i lower it, the shackles go down to straight, but i have to push them down. does this sound normal for a typical leaf spring installation? shouldn't they just bolt in up front and on the shackle fairly easily? Also what is the shackle angle supposed to be at when the rear end is hanging freely. this is really pissing me off. thanks

I'm not sure what the sentence I highlighted really means. But, I think if you do the SS springs you have to put in a 2 inch different either front bracket or rear shackle. There is an adapter bracket for those springs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120079/

This is what I was thinking, but I just looked at what you were talking about, moving your leafs in and I'm not sure this would help.

I recently installed a set of new super stock springs, and, if they're the same as the old SS springs, are 20 inches from front eye center to spring perch center.
I think that is 2 inches shorter than stock and requires a different front hangar...unless you want to move the axle location..

Splicer

Auto Transport Service
Back