• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car braking

analog70

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
Greetings. Looking for advice and or ideas on what may be my issue. After acquiring a 70 Charger driving for a short cruise less than 10-15 miles the car seems to want to lock up from rolling freely..

You begin to notice the car is slowing down and will even force a stall at take off. She becomes unable to be pushed freely by hand in neutral.

Not sure if the issue is simply in the brake system or could it be in the gearing/diff? Did flush/fill/bleed brake lines twice now and changed oil in differential. Brakes tested on jack stands and all seems to work properly.

*** The issue seems to arise after having to brake somewhat hard and suddenly it seems as if the brake(s) seem to not fully disengage after that point (until car sits/cools then the problem is gone until next drive.

The car is a 440 4 speed with a Master Power front disc brake conversion (done by previous owner) and stock drums in the rear with 8 3/4 rear (I want to say sure grip but I have yet to learn the identifiers as well as how to distinguish the gear ratio).

I have not yet isolated the issue to front/rear/any specific one thing.

Curious if anyone has experienced something similar or may have knowledge I don’t to point me in the right direction. Much appreciated in advance.

Cheers hope everyone is enjoying their Mopar.

motortrends roadkill garage i think had the same issue on the wreckrunner b-body.. i think it ended up being the master cyl. Maybe drum brake master on disk conversion..

A brake hose may be detoriated and swelling shut inside. The high pressure when brakes are applied force fluid in, but the hose constricts and slows down or stops the fluid from returning out. I had it happen on a dodge pickup once. Drove me crazy until we figured it out. This may or may not be your problem, but worth checking into.

motortrends roadkill garage i think had the same issue on the wreckrunner b-body.. i think it ended up being the master cyl. Maybe drum brake master on disk conversion..
Interesting I appreciate the information.

Thanks you

A brake hose may be detoriated and swelling shut inside. The high pressure when brakes are applied force fluid in, but the hose constricts and slows down or stops the fluid from returning out. I had it happen on a dodge pickup once. Drove me crazy until we figured it out. This may or may not be your problem, but worth checking into.
Good idea I’m thinking this could easily be my issue given the age of the lines. Will likely begin to change brake lines. Have yet to isolate the issue in the front or rear. My gut tells me to start with the longest line being the main master to rear wheels. I appreciate the information.

Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back