• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car takes a pee

Nick ciavarino

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi I have my heater hoses blocked off at the water pump.I have a bad heater core and i'm too lazy and not savvy enough to change it.Will this cause the car to overheat? i have a 160 degree thermostat in it now. I had 180 in it before still took a leak.64 sportfury
Thanks Nick

Nope. No effect. Heater core is easy to change in a ‘64. Small box, drops easily. Cores they sell aren’t quite exact but it doesn’t take much to make them fit properly.

As far as I'm concerned they should be looped together, so flow stays the same as having a heater core, vs being blocked off.

I haven't got any heater hoses (no heater). I have end stops on the manifold and water pump. Car runs perfectly well at 180 degrees, in winter temperatures (70 degrees) or summer (85-110 degrees).

I removed the inlet and outlet nipples ":D" on the water pump and used pipe plugs.

I have a 180* Tstat and that's where it mostly runs. Never over 190* on hot days in traffic.

The temperature of the thermostat only controls when the coolant is allowed to circulate, not the temperature that the coolant can or will reach. That's controlled by the radiator, fan, fan shroud, timing, amount of antifreeze to water ratio, water pump.

Nick make sure you have a good 15lb. cap on it.
And leave at least 1" of room on top when filling with coolant for heat expansion.

As far as I'm concerned they should be looped together, so flow stays the same as having a heater core, vs being blocked off.
When the temperature control valve is shut off-there is no flow.
Mike

I run all of my cars like this with no heater or ac. I just cut a plate to block everything on the firewall.

IMG-20200611-WA0044.jpg IMG-20200611-WA0006.jpg

Guess I'm too use to a '68, '69, '70 where there is no valve. Loop is always "on" and interior hot... lol
The heater control valve is attached to the firewall, to the right (driver side) of the fan motor.

EDIT: I was thinking of the AC model, a "heater only" has no valve. Thanks dadsbee.

Last edited:
The heater control valve is attached to the firewall, to the right (driver side) of the fan motor.
There is no valve on a '69/'70 non-a/c heater core. There is a heat/defrost/off flapper plate in the heater box, but nothing shuts off the engine coolant flow.

There is no valve on a '69/'70 non-a/c heater core. There is a heat/defrost/off flapper plate in the heater box, but nothing shuts off the engine coolant flow.
You are correct sir, thanks... My brain resorted to mine which had AC.

All I can tell you after all my trevails in this department is that on my particular car, a 440 '68 GTX...
I've run it with heater hoses on and with the hoses removed, the nipples removed and plugs installed
in the pump housing and saw zero difference in operating temps.
(My heater box is in desperate need of a rebuid - the flapper doors are rusted and off their mounts).
I had settled into a pattern of draining the cooling system and removing said hoses every spring.

However, I installed a NAPA issue generic heater control valve (cable operated) last fall, hoping I wouldn't
have to do that whole messy draining and yanking thing again this year - and hoping to still refrain from
having "heat soak" in the interior of the car in summer. It's bad enough with headers and 3" %$#@$% exhaust
under there as it is...
We're just now entering the hotter days of the year. Jury is still out on whether the valve will be enough.

Long-winded way of answering @Nick ciavarino 's original question - no, will not change operating temps. :)

Since you have a B/RB engjne by your pix, the thermostat by-pass connection is below the t-stat as a cored passage in the water pump housing. You do not need to "loop" the hoses that normally that connect to the heater core. IF the engine was an LA design, a by-pass hose would connect the t-stat housing to the water pump. IF a heater core was connected, coolant circulates all the time. The air door in the heater box directs air thru the core resulting in hot air to the passenger compartment. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Just discussed this in another thread, make sure cap is good, test or replace it. Do not over fill radiator. Manual says 1 inch below neck but as long as it covers core when cold you should be ok,.....

Auto Transport Service
Back