• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car trailers sturdy enough to haul a B body.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a car hauler trailer. I have a habit of finding derelict or classic cars and have rented dollies and trailers for far too long.
There are a LOT of options so I am trying to make sense of all of it.
I will be towing with my 2007 Ram 1500 regular cab 2wd truck. Maybe on rare occasions, I'd use my 75 W200 Power Wagon.
I would prefer a used trailer but am open to whatever I can find. I am not in a hurry but I would like to have one as soon as I can find something that fits my needs.
I have no interest in buying another truck to tow with.
A buddy has tried to sell me his cobbled trailer and I have been as gentle as I can in telling him that I want something bigger. I want one sturdy enough to haul a B body or even a pickup truck if need be. It would be stupid to buy a 14 or 16 footer and then need to rent or borrow a longer one for a bigger car.
The ones I see with wood decks are cheaper but I think I want a steel deck. The dovetail design looks appealing. Electric brakes are cheaper than hydraulic. Are they good enough?
I'd like stake pockets so I could use the trailer for more than just cars.

Who is willing to chime in with some thoughts?

Yeah. I'm not great but my stuff doesn't come apart! I don't trust myself to build a trailer from scratch though.

This open deck is priced fair. I'd consider something like this and buy some 16 ga steel to cover the middle.

00n0n_1gJ0FG3Nfl1_600x450.jpg

Standard Features & Investment
Length Electric Brakes* Hydraulic Brakes*
CC 6.5 x 16' $3,078 $4,163
CC 6.5 x 18 $3,395 $4,480
CC 6.5 x 20 $3,715 $4,800
CC 6.5 x 22 $4,032 $5,117
Investment plus fees, see bottom of page*.
Standard Features:
  • 7,000lb GVWR
  • Two 3,500lb Axles with One Braking Axle
  • Equalizing Spring Suspension
  • 15" Tires / 5 on 5 Silver Wheels
  • 3 x 5 x 1/4 Angle Frame
  • 3 x 2 x 3/16 Angle Cross Members
  • 4" Channel Wrap Around Tongue
  • 4' Side Load Ramps & Storage
  • Open Pit with 24" 12 Gauge Steel Bed Runners
  • 4' Dove Tail
  • 2,000lb Top Wind Jack
  • 2-5/16" Coupler
  • 8 Tie Down Pockets
  • Overall Width 96"

Last edited:
I've got a Haulmark 20' enclosed dovetail that has plywood floor. The steel frame supports the wood just fine with my '67 Coronet 4dr. Has double axle that are torsion bar and electric brakes. Bought it used in '04 and have never had a problem with it.

If the price was right, I'd be okay with modifying a trailer to meet my needs. Stake pockets, D rings, covering the open center, etc.

I bought a Kaufman 24’ tilt car trailer and love it. They are direct buy company so they will be cheaper to buy from them directly, but you will need a way to off load it. I had mine sent to my work and we used 2 forklifts to off load. When I bought it it out the the door was 4600. With delivery 2 years ago now with inflation they seem to went up to 5600 hundred with out the 600$ delivery i paid so who knows what it is. But worth the call and just to get quote if you have the means to off load. If u need u can always send it to your local trailer company with u small up charge. https://www.kaufmantrailers.com/car-trailers/tilt-car-trailer/8000-20-diamond-tilt-car/ This is the trailer i bought, again i found it was much cheaper to buy direct. Good luck

You'd probably need a 3/4 ton truck to haul that, right?

Copy and paste from the above link:

8,000 GVWR / 20 ft. Diamond Floor Tilt Car Trailer – DELUXE
diamond-floor-tilt-car-trailer-300x136.jpg

Request a Quote

$5,590.00 Factory Direct
Our diamond floor tilt car trailers are manufactured with a rigid 5″ channel frame and tongue. The 8,000 GVWR model adds 4K axles with 225/75 R15 LRD radial tires. The entire bed tilts for loading and is built with all tubing steel construction. 24″ toe plates and the gradual loading angle, made possible by a total bed length (with toe plates) of 22′, make it possible to load sports cars with low clearance that will not load on standard ramp and dovetail car trailers. A hydraulic damper cushions the lowering of the bed during loading. Standard features on this high quality car trailer include a swing up jack, heavy duty diamond plate fenders, four-wheel brakes, radial tires, stake pockets with rub rail, and a sealed modular wiring harness with lifetime LED lights.

VIEW OUR ENTIRE LINE OF CAR TRAILERS

CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH QUESTIONS: 866-455-7444

G.V.W.R. 8,000 lb.
Electrical Sealed modular wiring harness with LED lights
Frame 5 in. channel, and 5 in. x 3 in. tubing frame on tilting bed
Dovetail 24 in. toeplates
Upper Deck N/A
Side Rail N/A
Tongue 5 in. Channel
Tires 225/75 R15 (2640 lb.) Radial
Floors Full diamond plate with 3 in. channel crossmembers 24 in. oncenter
Coupler 2-5/16 in. A-frame ball coupler
Safety Chains Heavy duty safety chains
Ramps N/A
Tie Downs Stake pockets and Rubrail
Deck Length 20 ft. + 2 ft. toeplates (with hydraulic damper cylinder)
Deck Height N/A
Deck Width 82 in. Between fenders
Fenders Heavy duty diamond plate fenders (6IN. HIGH OVER DECK)
Lower Deck N/A
Brakes Both braking axles, Standard
Tailgate N/A
Wheels Silver or white mod (Based on stock)
Jack 2,000 lb. Swing up jack
Axles 2-4,000 lb. e-z lube axles
Suspension Double eye springs
Toolbox N/A
Finish Primed, 2 coats of automotive grade enamel, pin striped.

Make sure you have brakes on both axles. Brakes on one axle is not safe and not legal in some states. I have a 20 ft tilt bed 10,000 lbs rated and pull with a f150 and had a dodge 1/2ton van that worked well also.

That is what i own and use. But what I have learned towing all my cars to Nevada to property i bought I’m looking into 3500. Ive been buying more cars lately ( planning retirement) storing them up there and hills are a killer, and i want to be prepared. Like u I’m leaving California and just bought a 18000 pound dump trailer and looking for a Skid loader. So i will need a large truck to tow with plus i may start a business out there to have a write off for a large barn I’m building and some income, but work when i want to work.

I have a metal deck 18' with 2' dove tail, it has the stake pockets and, electric brakes. To answer your question it is more than capable of hauling a B body. The electric brakes work really well. I will have to find the registrstion to figure out what brand it is. The dovetail is nice but, takes some getting used to, backing up the end of the trailer just disappears...so be careful.

You've been talking about moving out of state. Maybe get an enclosed trailer that will carry two B-Bodies?

18’, steel deck, dove tail.

buy it new. Used ones are close to the price of new, and they all need tires, brakes and repainted.

You've been talking about moving out of state. Maybe get an enclosed trailer that will carry two B-Bodies?
That would surely require a bigger truck to drag it.
My thoughts are that the move, if and when it happens, will require the services of a multi-car hauler.

For perspective.....
The Road Runner is sitting on a 16 foot trailer.

01E.jpg

The Charger is on an 18 footer:

0 1F.jpg

Last edited:
My thoughts are that the move, if and when it happens, will require the services of a multi-car hauler.

I borrowed a nice RAM 1500 and hauled a 24' V nose trailer. It had to work pretty hard to pull it. I was advised to get 5500lb axles and the enclosed trailer hauls 7500lbs. I modified my floor with E tracks that are bolted to 3/16 steal plates. I was also advised to get a 2500 which I did (used not new). I like the enclosed trailer and modified it myself because if I need to I can carry stuff and sleep in it if I need to.
Good luck on your move!

Trailers sell for almost as much as they cost - I could probably sell mine for more than I paid and it's a decent not fancy trailer. If Mr. Dog decided he didn't need or like an enclosed trailer I doubt he would have trouble selling it.

Just my 2 cents, I prefer 8000 lb axles. They have larger diameter bearings which run cooler and leak a lot less.

I use a short wood decker with no frills. The shorter bed actually makes it easier to tie down the rear of the car because you have more space to secure the axle. I welded in 4 D-ring pockets front and two recessed ones in the rear deck which improved it alot. I also made a spare tire carrier for it. It has electric brakes on all four wheels. I have been using it for 30+ years, having to replace the deck once so far. It has mainly been towed by a 68 Fury wagon, 76 Volare wagon, late 70's Chev 1/2 ton, 89 3/4 ton ram, 05 hemi Durango, and currently 05 1500 Hemi Ram, including many long-distance trips with a B-body on it.

It's been a very cost effective and useful tool that has paid for itself. If I was going to do it again, I might spring for a steel deck with a tilt bed. It makes loading derelicts so much easier, especially when they refuse to roll. The last thing I towed was a 41 Dodge truck with four flats and all wheels locked up. I put plywood under the wheels and maged to get it up the ramps after a lot of effort (chain winching it by had no less!). A tilt deck would have made it so much easier. It would also make solo un/loading safer and easier because you don't have to worry about ramp alignment.

Good luck.

Ive got an open deck 14ft steel car trailer, that i have owned for probably 30 yrs, and i wouldnt take three times what i paid for it today. I have hauled 33 imperials, multiple b-bodys, 4200 lb big block impala race cars, and a one ton dually on it, with no complaints. I would not own a wood deck open trailer, thanks.
As im sure you know, you have to match trailer and load to the tow vehicle. I did use my trailer to tow the impala over the mountains to palmdale with a big block ranchero that weighed less than the impala, and that was NOT
the ideal setup. Replaced the ranch with a 1 ton dually, worked MUCH better.
With your given of using your 1/2 ton, i think Vintage Chromemoly's rec is excellent.
Edit: and spring for a winch, any kind, even a chinese. I did without one for many years, i dont know how i could have been SO stupid! Ive got a 9000lb hf on mine, dont know what i would do without it!
2nd edit. Not much space where i wanted to park the trailer at my cali house, the 14 footer fit, an eighteen wouldnt.

Last edited:

For perspective.....
The Road Runner is sitting on a 16 foot trailer.

View attachment 1135496

The Charger is on an 18 footer:

View attachment 1135497

Which shitty is that? New Shitty or Old Shitty?

Auto Transport Service
Back