• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb reccomendations

GearAddict

Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
ok, so I've been running a 600 CFM Holley 08149-S that someone gave me when I realized the edelbrock that was on my car was toast. I know this is small for the application, but it has been acceptable to move the car around as needed.

I should say that I'm still trying to figure out what the primary specs are for the 383 that was in the car when I bought it and I have a few big ones still to figure out (comp ratio and exact cam specs being the 2 biggest question marks).

That said, here's what I know.

69 RR
4-Speed
4:10 rear
27.5" rear tires
mopar purple cam (quick and dirty check looks like 509)
Eddy Performer intake
MSD 6-AL and soon to have MSD dist
Heads appear to have been ported (at least the intake runners)
headers

Vacuum runs in the 7-8" range at idle

Application: Street machine...driven short hauls (10-40 miles one way) to car shows, rod runs ect.. red light street racin occasionally.

looking for good throttle response, CFM that won't limit power under 6000 RPM. Not super concerned about gas milage (within reason). Electric choke would be nice. Price range - under $400 prefered.

Not looking to become a carb expert or spend tons of time tweaking (scares me away from Holley's sometimes. Just seem like you need to spend alot of time tweaking to get them right). I'm up for that someday, but I have other things on this project I need to focus my time on at the moment.

I have been looking pretty seriously at the 750 Street Demon.

Any suggetions or advice would be appreciated.

for my 2cents; I don't think the .509 cam is good choice for a 383. from my experience with 383's they are very easy to over cam. the 600 holley is small. the factory avs was around 625-650cfm. back when I was messing with 383's I found the old holley 780cfm vacuum carbs worked very well with aftermarket intakes. a holley 4779 or 4780 would make good substitutes for the 780's (quickfuel does make a 780 very similar to the old ones).

thanks... I agree on the .509, It was installed by the previous owner. I'm going to leave it for the moment as I plan to rebuild or buy a crate motor in the next 1-2 years.

Thanks Dan that QF looks great but I'm hoping to stay under $400 if I can help it, but I won't rule it out.

I have almost the same set up as you, just a little bit bigger lift on the cam. The Quick Fuel 735 vs works perfect.

Quick fuel Scott, spend the extra $, you won't regret it. After that, if you have a wheel dyno near you, take it there and tune that baby up! They can measure air-to-fuel ratio and get that thing runnin tits.

My Holley 3310-1 (780cfm) carbs always worked well on similar combos. If you can't find a decent rebuilder, then yes, Quick Fuel is the way to go.

Auto Transport Service
Back