• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb too high or Hood too low

VFilms

Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
On my '66 poly is a '59 cast iron 4 barrel intake with the original WCFB. Atop that I had planned on using a RR duel snorkel air cleaner. Problem is, it sits too high. I have tried two air cleaner bases, one with a 1" drop and one with a 1 7/8" drop. Neither lower the air cleaner enough and, of course, the hood won't close.
Newer carbs won't work without an adapter and even then I'm not sure of the clearance.
What am I missing? Thoughts, please.

IMG_1670.jpg IMG_1672.jpg

On my '66 poly is a '59 cast iron 4 barrel intake with the original WCFB. Atop that I had planned on using a RR duel snorkel air cleaner. Problem is, it sits too high. I have tried two air cleaner bases, one with a 1" drop and one with a 1 7/8" drop. Neither lower the air cleaner enough and, of course, the hood won't close.
Newer carbs won't work without an adapter and even then I'm not sure of the clearance.
What am I missing? Thoughts, please.

View attachment 1027393 View attachment 1027394
Looks great. Well you can't raise your hood unless you want to cut a huge hole. Those WCFB's are really tall. A different carb with an adapter or a different air cleaner are your only choices.

Last edited:
I'm using the same dual snorkel on my 69 charger. With an aftermarket intake manifold. I bought a cheap Chevy aircleaner base on ebay and modified it. Now I have a dual snorkel un-silenced air cleaner
20200608_190239.jpg
. But it fits and looks good.

I'm using the same dual snorkel on my 69 charger. With an aftermarket intake manifold. I bought a cheap Chevy aircleaner base on ebay and modified it. Now I have a dual snorkel un-silenced air cleanerView attachment 1027455 . But it fits and looks good.
Looks perfect. Can you supply more info on the base you purchased, carb you're using and the modifications. The bore holes on the '59 intake are rather small and if I change carbs I will need an adapter so the butterflies on the carb open fully.

4 brl manifold.jpeg

Not sure what the orignal configuration is supposed to be. Mine is a bit of a Frankenstein. This is with a 650 Holley and the poly manifold. 2" on filter drop & about 3/8" clearance.

IMG_20180618_202757.jpg

Looks perfect. Can you supply more info on the base you purchased, carb you're using and the modifications. The bore holes on the '59 intake are rather small and if I change carbs I will need an adapter so the butterflies on the carb open fully.

View attachment 1027502

Search 14" flat air cleaner base on ebay. I couldn't find the auction # for it . But it's the black flst one I modified. They also have bases that have different amounts of drop built in.

Macini racing has a 2" drop base that might help with your clearance issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back