• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attention 1970 Fresh Air Hood Owners Needed

Yeah in that case you will have to consider another intake. I use the Holley street dominator single plane on an RB block with n96 hood, great performance and low profile.

Yeah in that case you will have to consider another intake. I use the Holley street dominator single plane on an RB block with n96 hood, great performance and low profile.
You know I am running a SB 340 right? I’m not sure my manifold really is that much taller than airgap. I’ll look into it. Thanks!

Sorry, just saw that. Assumed big block with a 70 air grabber. Almost any other small block intake will work, big block is a very limited selection. That does not look like it will clear as is but you will find out soon. I've used a hoist to install a hood when I didn't have help btw, but the car will have to be outside if you have a standard attached garage.

Does anyone know where I can find an assembly drawing for the air grabber door set up? I am trying to determine what the 2 threaded bosses on each side attach to on the air grabber door. Not the three that attach to the hinge plate on the hood.
1690313194009.jpeg

View attachment 1495906
I dunno....that "looks" 2"-3" too tall. The 70 air grabber hoods are REALLY tight
1. 340 helps (shorter)
2. Aftermarket intake hurts a lot (taller)
3. Holley hurts (taller)
I will throw a few ideas out there because I see you don't have the hood on the car.
a. If you're just trying to drive it, maybe don't install the fiberglass box underneath the hood?
b. The bottom of the trap door (passenger corner) dips down surprisingly low into the engine compartment
c. A GTX 440 air grabber will help (1" shorter than the 340/383 air cleaner) assuming you want your airgrabber hood to work.
d. I think you'll need one of those Edelbrock "triangle low-profile with foam filter" air cleaners, even with the drop base, if you want to use that carb/intake.
View attachment 1495912
THose triangular air cleaners are bad news. One backfire and the foam melts and down inside the carb it goes.

I finally found it! A picture of what I was looking for. The assembly drawings do-not have this detail. Apparently there is a rubber door seal that these three screws are intended to affix to. Posting because someday someone will want to know here.

9DB240198CB240C2812DA4C9C3191551.jpeg

Well I was able to test fit the hood today! And the verdict is in. She fits! Even with the scoop deployed in the up position there is a little clearance. This is with the high rise manifold in. I am planning to replace the manifold at a later date as I have a ton of assembly work ahead. Check out the fitment. And goofy!

IMG_8555.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8550.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

that wont work in practice with this manifold because the engine needs a bit more clearance to move/vibrate while running, but at least you have a reference point. any manifold shorter than that will be good. nice project!

that wont work in practice with this manifold because the engine needs a bit more clearance to move/vibrate while running, but at least you have a reference point. any manifold shorter than that will be good. nice project!
What in your mind is a reasonable clearance?

Auto Transport Service
Back