• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carb whistle

67 gtx cov

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
I have a 750 edelbrock carb on a 440 under a light load it whistles at acceleration

look for a air leak spray with water (not to much) or wd40 or carb cleaner to locate
or use a hose to locate noise

Is it vacuum secondaries? On my edelbrock when I would press the pedal it would whistle because the secondary butter flys would open just a tiny bit. Would go away when the vacuum kicked in and opened them all the way. Look down in the carb while you give it throttle and see if the secondary plates move. This is for Vacuum Secondaries. If you have mechanical, I can't help you (probably a vacuum leak at carb-manifold)

Is it vacuum secondaries? On my edelbrock when I would press the pedal it would whistle because the secondary butter flys would open just a tiny bit. Would go away when the vacuum kicked in and opened them all the way. Look down in the carb while you give it throttle and see if the secondary plates move. This is for Vacuum Secondaries. If you have mechanical, I can't help you (probably a vacuum leak at carb-manifold)

Can't really recommend looking down the carburetor and giving it throttle while it's running, unless you like the no eyebrow look...lol. You should be able to see the secondary linkage move if that's the problem.

Can't really recommend looking down the carburetor and giving it throttle while it's running, unless you like the no eyebrow look...lol. You should be able to see the secondary linkage move if that's the problem.

I do it all the time I don't know what you're talking about? :thinker:

XTaL1mA.jpg

He's right don't look down the hole!

Too funny...I learned that very early on. The worst part is the smell of hair burning...lol.

as stated its a vacuum leak at the base of the carb most likely. spray the carb cleaner around the base and when the fluid hits the point of entry (the leak) it will suck in the fluid and the whistle will stop while doing so....there is your point of entry and then tighten what ever is loose or replace the gasket.

My 780 whines a bit when the secondaries are opening up under WOT its funny sounds like mini blower whine and no there are no leaks it's just a venturi sound

thanks guys there is no leaks I did the test I changed out the jets and metering rods and this started it runs fine

Maybe it's happy. Go to aggressive throttle.

thanks guys there is no leaks I did the test I changed out the jets and metering rods and this started it runs fine

wow I gotta laugh! we are suggesting something as simple as tightening a corner down or maybe a gasket and you have the ability and knowledge to change jets and metering rods?????
Heck I embarrassed myself against your knowledge.

oh well I've been outdone more than once.

Name it Whistling Dick :laughing6:
View attachment 275036
The gun would gain fame because of a whistling sound the oddly rifled weapon caused the shells to make in flight. The weapon was originally a model 1839 smoothbore cannon that was later rifled. It became a legend when Union veterans at post-war reunions would claim to have been narrowly missed by fire from 'Whistling Dick'.

Auto Transport Service
Back