• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carberated 5.7 L Hemi install.

RICHIES ARMOR

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. Im planning to install a 2007 Durango 5.7L in my 73 Satellite 318/auto car.

My plan is a bit different than most I see here as im planning to eliminate the EFI and run a carb.

A few questions about the 5.7 L first.

Being a '07 do I need to do anything special to prepare it for the transplant?

Remove the selenoids below the EFI plenum and replace with plugs?

I plan to add a larger cam . Any special considerations?

Motor mounts?

Im not completely knowledgeable about the distrubutorless ignition. My udersatnding is that there are after market computer systems that will run the coils. Any advice?

Header options or run manifolds?

I have a '72 727 that I would like to run. Any special considerations?

I know Ive barely touched the surface. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richie

Nothing special needed to use the 07 engine.
Leave the mds solenoids in, no need to spend extra money.
R&r the cam, depending on how many miles the engine has, maybe a new timing chain....they are cheap.
Get the msdhemi6 stuff to fire off the coils, check forabodiesonly.com (new hemi swaps), TONS of advise there.
TTI headers/motor mounts, pricey but worth it.
727 trans is just fine.

Thanks for the info. Ill continue to research . I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Richie

Nothing special needed to use the 07 engine.
Leave the mds solenoids in, no need to spend extra money.
R&r the cam, depending on how many miles the engine has, maybe a new timing chain....they are cheap.
Get the msdhemi6 stuff to fire off the coils, check forabodiesonly.com (new hemi swaps), TONS of advise there.
TTI headers/motor mounts, pricey but worth it.
727 trans is just fine.

What he said. But personally I would replace those MDS lifters with standard lifters to eliminate any problems with them down the road. (buddies 07 Grand Cherokee had to have them replaced).

The MSD Hemi6 is the best way to control spark. Manifolds will work but you do have the TTI header option but the truck manifolds will try to run the pipe straight into the firewall. So far I have seen that 300C manifolds are the tightest tucked. I just picked up BBK shorties for my swap but don't know if they fit yet.

TTI makes the engine swap mounts but they do require you to relocate the oil filter with a block off plate. I made my own mounts to stop from having to do this but if plug and play is your style then go TTI.

You dont need the block off plate when using TTI mounts on a b/e body, just the 45 degree oil filter adapter and a smaller filter, or notch the k frame and your set.

You dont need the block off plate when using TTI mounts on a b/e body, just the 45 degree oil filter adapter and a smaller filter, or notch the k frame and your set.

Sorry, my mistake. I think that 45 degree adapter is off of a Durango right?

Personally I'd make sure I could at least run a stock size filter since they already aren't all that huge.

Im not familiar with TTI. Can you post a link?

Im planning to add a larger cam. Ill repalce teh lifters at that time.

Thanks

Richie

Here ya go...www.ttiexhaust.com The 45 degree adapter can be had at your local dealer or rockauto. They came on 4x4 rams and I think the durango's.

hotrodlane.cc they have it and alot of other stuff for the hemi swaps. Ask for Mark, he's the owner and a good guy.

I just completed my hemi swap and I used a 06 truck motor with the 545rfe trans and the tti mounts. I have spool type mounts on my car and it did require me to use the TTI block off plate for the oil filter. The spool type mount sets right under the threaded coupler that the oil filter screws on to. I bought a moroso remote oil filter mount and just plumbed the 2 ports above the filter to that and a cooler. I kept the stock manifolds, but the passenger side does point straight back so exhaust is tricky but I have enough room under the hood in the doba.
As for switching to carb, is there any specific reason, or you just like carbs better. The only thing I did to convert to EFI was a bosch 044 fuel pump a LS1 filter/regulator and added 3/8 pick-up tube to the sender in the tank. I bought my harness from hotwire and they are really good poeple to work with. I sent them the pc and had it flashed for a HD truck to remove EGR and they sent it to a guy to remove all the security. Harness is great and only takes 3 wires and a ground to start the motor.

Thanks for the input.

Im kinda liking the idea of the carb. I have the truck EFI, no harness or computer.

Cost wise its not a big difference to run an intake vs EFI by the time you add up the options to go eitehr way. Really for me I just havent seen to many Carbed versions of teh swap. I think Im just being a lil lazy and not wanting to run the pumps etc if I dont ahve too.

I do ahve a 72 duster with a EFI 360 in it so Im not completely unknowledgable about the swap.

Ive done a lil reading and the carb/ cam/ intake route does make some good HP figures.

Richie

Well its to each his own. I personally dont see the point in doing a swap and taking away the EFI. I could have built a stroker from my 360 for less than I have in the swap, and I only paid 1300 for the motor trans factory harness and pcm. You still have to have some sort of harness and pcm to fire the coils, at least I would assume this is the case. It just seems that for the money you could have alot more old school motor than you can get for the same money on the hemi's, with less fitment issues also.
Im not bashing or hating, everyone has their reasons and personal opinions. Good luck with the swap and I hope all goes well.

That is what makes this hobby so cool, eveybody has an idea that they like for whatever reason and they go about doing it their way. I like both the "old school" and the new stuff, so I say bring it all on and lets have some fun!!!

It can be about the look. Its hard to get the look of a classic engine with the late model hemi if not carb'd. If I didn't love the convenience of fuel injection I would have run a carb. Realisitically there is not a huge difference in price between running a hotwire harness and building/running a carb'd version. By the time you buy the MSD Hemi6 box, its harness, Indy Mod Man intake, top plate and a Carb(s) you are already at the same price or exceeding it.

Ive picked up several 5.7s lately for$500(truck) each complete, no trans. I just have a cool feeling about putting a carb on one of these to see what I can do.

All advice is appreciated.

Richie

Well then, quit typing and get started, lol!!! Oh, dont forget the pics!!

Auto Transport Service
Back