• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburater

I prefer a quick fuel or the Holley street avenger but you will likely get 10 more opinions. I just like the vacuum secondaries on these cars and they are more tunable.

Stock Motor - could get by with a Holley 600cfm vac. secondary or carter (now edlebrock) 600-650cfm range.

Street/Strip - Holley 750 vac. secondary (3310-x) or equivalent sized carter/edlebrock

Race - One of the "hot" carbs listed above or similar (750+ cfm & maybe a "double pumper" Holley for a 4-speed car)

Just my "rule of thumb" opinion on these.

I agree with Beeper. My rule of thumb is you don't get hurt much, if any by going smaller on the carb. I've learned how to deal with Holley's better than I did with Carters. But the new AFB I used on one of my van motors worked really good for a long time. A 3310 style Holley is hard to beat and pretty easy to tune. IMHO

If you want reliability vs improved performance, stick with your original manifold and carb setup. You will have no issues. They weren't fancy, but worked well. Otherwise, yes, there are many options. Everyone has an opinion in this department. I tossed my carter, back in '69, and several mopars later, I still favor my Holley 750 Mechanical, Manual Choke, Ultra Double Pumper - over Holley Avengers, Quick Fuels and/or the Demon carbs. Not that these are bad carbs - but when it comes to a stock 440 on the street, really... what difference does it truly make. We are not talking about shaving off micro seconds here between one carb choice and another. They all work. I think it is more so, a personal choice. Once you deviate from the stock intake/carb setup, you inherit all the related issues, such as increased heat percolation, causing frustrating hot start problems, requiring shielded fuel lines and/or the isolation and shielding of your carb from the intake manifold, compounded by an intake manifold that does not incorporate an inner water flow cooling design. This is not so much an issue with the Demon carbs - So, I have been told, but don't quote me. If none of this bothers you, and you are bent on tossing your reliable stock carter - then digest what the more knowledgeable folks than me have to say in FBBO - and make your choice. I ran the 770 Holley Avenger on my 440 street/mod for 1 summer. Didn't like it. Others love it, so go figure. I suppose, I just don't like electric chokes. That, or the lack of the preferred 4 corner idle options & tunability found on the Holley 750 Ultra Double Pumper series, if going a street performance route. Lot's of great 600-750 cfm carbs. Good Luck :)

edelbrock thunder avs 650cfm 1806 or street demon 750cfm. Small primary throttle bores are better for a stock engine; throttle response and gas mileage. The trade off is high rpm power but how many times do you go there with a stock engine.

Back