• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor rebuild?

Hemi2Much

Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Talked to Scott Smith at Harms yesterday about sending my carburetors to them for a complete restoration. Scott said that due to supply chain issues they are not accepting any new jobs until things improve and the current turnaround time is over a year out. Does anyone have a Carburetor kit # for rebuilding the Carter AFB's for a 1966 Hemi? OR who else would you recommend for restoration/rebuild service? Or is this country-wide covid crap got every industry crapped out until further notice? Is this really still impacting the entire global market? It sure seems that no one is on time with anything anymore. Still waiting for over 18 months on my engine machine work to be completed.

18 months for machine work???? I went to a busy shop in Vegas, they were on "tv" once doing work on one of the "Street Outlaws" engines. I said I wasn't in a rush, but would like it back w/in 4 months. They did it and assembled bottom end in that time. I can't imagine anything longer. This was on my 496 stroker. Tanked, .030 and honed to piston clearance specs, CNC'd to block axis specs, and bearing clearances all set.

I got mine (also 66 Hemi) from Mikes Carburetors. It’s a good place for jets and rods too.

Mike's Carburetor Parts

Daytona and Allcarbs are two other potential sources. Some of them probably do restoration but I haven’t had any work done by them.

Talked to Scott Smith at Harms yesterday about sending my carburetors to them for a complete restoration. Scott said that due to supply chain issues they are not accepting any new jobs until things improve and the current turnaround time is over a year out. Does anyone have a Carburetor kit # for rebuilding the Carter AFB's for a 1966 Hemi? OR who else would you recommend for restoration/rebuild service? Or is this country-wide covid crap got every industry crapped out until further notice? Is this really still impacting the entire global market? It sure seems that no one is on time with anything anymore. Still waiting for over 18 months on my engine machine work to be completed.
I will say this, forget Harms. They may be good, but, there is better. You have a resource right here on the forum, that will knock you out with there artistry, and competence in performance. They have done a holy grail for me, a 6 pack for my buddy Mark, and have one being restored for me right now with them. Woodruff Carburetor. Dave is great, as well as his team. His work will be at MCACN this November. Go forth with confidence my friend.

I will say this, forget Harms. They may be good, but, there is better. You have a resource right here on the forum, that will knock you out with there artistry, and competence in performance. They have done a holy grail for me, a 6 pack for my buddy Mark, and have one being restored for me right now with them. Woodruff Carburetor. Dave is great, as well as his team. His work will be at MCACN this November. Go forth with confidence my friend.
Thanks, I will be contacting him tonight.

The one advantage of someone who does hemi carbs is the knowledge base of the hemi carbs and also the spare parts involved if yours are damaged or missing. I learned to do my own as I got into collecting hemi carbs as a side hobby along with dual points. Most anyone can make the carb cosmetically pretty, but do they use the correct internal external parts. All the bleeds and feed ports checked for calibration. There are some examples out there of well known rebuilders using wrong parts. Including screws with add on lock washer vice SEM fasteners. So ask questions.

Below is some pictures of a 66 L5 4140 I did myself. I documented all the correct coating as best I could from the core and it looked to me like a cadmium was used and I had the parts plated in cadmium.

You can PM me if you have any questions, always interested in talking about Hemi car.

4140.jpg

4140a.jpg

4140b.jpg

4140c.jpg

One word to the wise - if you send a carb(s) off to be rebuilt/restored - I strongly recommend pulling it apart when it’s returned and check the jets, rods, springs, power valves ( if a Holley), Venturi booster numbers, etc. I had a Carter restored last year and it came back looking like a jewel. When I took it apart to check, the jets and rods were totally screwed up. If I had tried to run it as received, it probably wouldn't have done much but blow black smoke. After replacing all the jets and rods it has performed fine. If you aren’t sure what jets, rods and internal parts your carb came with, sometimes you can find info on the internet and also some of the members here have the original Carter manuals. Trust - but verify.

One word to the wise - if you send a carb(s) off to be rebuilt/restored - I strongly recommend pulling it apart when it’s returned and check the jets, rods, springs, power valves ( if a Holley), Venturi booster numbers, etc. I had a Carter restored last year and it came back looking like a jewel. When I took it apart to check, the jets and rods were totally screwed up. If I had tried to run it as received, it probably wouldn't have done much but blow black smoke. After replacing all the jets and rods it has performed fine. If you aren’t sure what jets, rods and internal parts your carb came with, sometimes you can find info on the internet and also some of the members here have the original Carter manuals. Trust - but verify.
I sent off a full set of '79 Suzuki GS750 carbs to be rebuilt. Came back pretty. Wouldn't work, opened them up and jets were plugged and stuck in their seats so bad the needed to be drilled out. Before doing anything after opening, called company and they said warranty was void because I opened them up. This was 15 yrs ago.

That is a risk but it wouldn’t stop me from opening the carb up and verify what’s in it. I had a Holley restored at Holley many years ago that was stagger jetted for a BB Chevy with an L88 intake. They threw my jets away and put stock L72 jets in it, forcing me to re-jet it again for the engine.

In the latest instance with the Carter, my core did not have jets in it and I told them to jet it stock. When I received it back there wasn't any restoration information with it so I emailed and asked how they jetted it. They replied they put performance jetting in it. That worried me so I pulled the top off and what a mess was inside. The rods were different side to side. It had a mix of 2-step rods/primary jets and 3-step rod hardware. The secondary jets were way rich. I managed to find stock secondary jets, 3-step rods, primary tall jets and put it right for about $20 but on a restoration that should not have been necessary.

That is a risk but it wouldn’t stop me from opening the carb up and verify what’s in it. I had a Holley restored at Holley many years ago that was stagger jetted for a BB Chevy with an L88 intake. They threw my jets away and put stock L72 jets in it, forcing me to re-jet it again for the engine.

In the latest instance with the Carter, my core did not have jets in it and I told them to jet it stock. When I received it back there wasn't any restoration information with it so I emailed and asked how they jetted it. They replied they put performance jetting in it. That worried me so I pulled the top off and what a mess was inside. The rods were different side to side. It had a mix of 2-step rods/primary jets and 3-step rod hardware. The secondary jets were way rich. I managed to find stock secondary jets, 3-step rods, primary tall jets and put it right for about $20 but on a restoration that should not have been necessary.
Ok. We know that there is smoke and mirrors in this biz. From experience, my thermoquad was perfect performance wise, and it looked beautiful doing it, and the 6 pack on my buddy's car was unreal for performance. I have had others- ( which I get it you don't want to bad mouth others on this forum) perform " restos " on my carbs, and, like the hemi guys, took them apart- ( again a 6 pack ) , and it was GARBAGE. So, again, my experience, Woodruff Carburetors. Thumbs up.

Auto Transport Service
Back