• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor restoration

Grady Cain

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any suggestions on someone who does concours-quality carb restorations? Please don't say Holley as I just had my 6-pack carbs "restored" by them and they don't look remotely like the factory finishes. This photo is what I'm looking for. Thanks...
2a79aeb9b891079f09763fd2928461f9.jpg

Anyone out there have any suggestions on someone who does concours-quality carb restorations? Please don't say Holley as I just had my 6-pack carbs "restored" by them and they don't look remotely like the factory finishes. This photo is what I'm looking for. Thanks... View attachment 410241
you could also try Hal Houghton AT www.classicpreservation.com he's in Schenectady N.Y he's restoring one for me nice enough guy !

Thank you all for your input - much appreciated!

Bill O has done a few carbs for me
all were a work of art
and the price was much better then the other guy's
I highly recommend him..
Completely Agree...He has done my carbs and distributors!

Thank you!! Much appreciated as I just wasted tons of $$ with Holley. You would think since they built them originally, they would know how to restore them correctly...
No problem....Bill is the best by far and specializes in six pack carbs...

I have had carbs done by both and the first choice always is Bill O! btw I am not knocking he 2nd choice at all....SH does great work as well...

No problem....Bill is the best by far and specializes in six pack carbs...

I have had carbs done by both and the first choice always is Bill O! btw I am not knocking he 2nd choice at all....SH does great work as well...

I asked the other guy a question
And opinion About a car once and
I got a price menu back! LOL

I just emailed Bill. Besides the A12 carbs that I just had "restored" I have the 6-pack set-up from my T/A that needs to be done. The genius I bought the car from thought it would be a good idea to completely disassemble all 3 carbs, throw all the parts in a box and let them sit in the barn for 30 years. Needless to say, they need some TLC. Thanks again to everyone for your input!

I just emailed Bill. Besides the A12 carbs that I just had "restored" I have the 6-pack set-up from my T/A that needs to be done. The genius I bought the car from thought it would be a good idea to completely disassemble all 3 carbs, throw all the parts in a box and let them sit in the barn for 30 years. Needless to say, they need some TLC. Thanks again to everyone for your input!
Ohh my what a genius that one was...Thankfully, you have them now!

Thank you!! Much appreciated as I just wasted tons of $$ with Holley. You would think since they built them originally, they would know how to restore them correctly...

Holley like so many others, is a different company today than years ago.

Holley like so many others, is a different company today than years ago.
Unfortunately you are correct and I just got schooled (a nicer way of saying f'd) big time. That won't happen with my T/A 6-Pack set...

What's everyone's opinion regarding ProMax? I was actually going to use them for my 6-Pack rebuild but now I'm leaning towards Bill because of what I read here.

Tried contacting Bill via email posted. Have a set to restore and like the comments about Bill, however still have not received a response yet. I hope I do soon. I too have had Scott do a carb for me and it worked well. Bill as I understand is really good with the 6 barrels.

Tried contacting Bill via email posted. Have a set to restore and like the comments about Bill, however still have not received a response yet. I hope I do soon. I too have had Scott do a carb for me and it worked well. Bill as I understand is really good with the 6 barrels.

Unfortunately Bill has passed away. A gentleman from TX has purchased all his remaining stock and materials. I believe he plans on providing the same service. Supposedly he's been rebuilding carbs for years. As you know, it's an art form as well. Hope he does well. Nickel on the grass for Bill...

So sorry to hear. Had him do my carbs since this post. Also had him do some other work just about 5 months ago.
Bill did some of the best work I have seen.
Prayers for the family. My God bless

Auto Transport Service
Back