• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars for sale with NO price listed...

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Yeah? Well maybe I want to know just how sensible you might be and whether or not TALKING to you is worth my time.
What is the point of this crap?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Yeah? Well maybe I want to know just how sensible you might be and whether or not TALKING to you is worth my time.
What is the point of this crap?
Cars for sale here at other Joey sites? Hit the report button.

Sorry guys, I was referring to general sales with no specific aim toward any forum.
I know the staff does a great job weeding out the dorks.
In general, I meant signs in windows of cars, ads online, etc.
I'll admit that I don't know everything, I'm just curious as to what the seller is thinking, what the strategy is there.
Are they trying to weed out the people that they think are unworthy of the opportunity to buy?
I suspect WileERobby makes some sense in response #2.

My personal opinion of that style tactic is it would cause a lot of walk bys or no calls etc. Sure they may also be eliminating most of the tire kickers - but a lot of potential buyers as well. Myself - I wouldn’t give them the time of day. I don’t like that ****…..

When they don't list a price, they're flat out embarrassed of what they're asking.
If it's priced properly, you'd be proud.

I always price my stuff at what I think is "market value" whether it is a car or parts.
Some may think it makes sense to put a sky high price on it with the hopes that some idiot will step up and pay it.
I just can't do that, just like I can't bring myself to make a ridiculously low offer on something.

Is this because... people are supposed to bid? Isn't that how everybody buys and sells cars, now?

Last edited:
When ever I see any ads anyplace for anything not just cars with no price I always send them a message with " Price ? " Just to make them say it out loud in print the stupid price they must be asking
They wasted my time by not listing a price in the first place and now I just wasted their time by having to them to reply to a maybe customer Most times I want to say ha ha ha back to them but would rather just leave them wondering if I got the message or am I thinking about it :)

If there's no price listed I don't even bother. I walk on by. I always assume it's likely more than I'll want to pay anyway.

Perhaps they are hoping someone will make an uneducated crazy high offer.

There's parts dealer local to me, that never prices anything.

He's got a LOT of Mopar parts but the majority are driver quality at best.

He will never give you a price first, and if you make a reasonable but somewhat low offer (which is the logical thing to do, right), he straight up laughs at you.

I'll never understand that methodology. Never.

I've never bought anything from him and after two times of the above experience, I don't even stop to look at what he has anymore.

Worst ads on Facebook - "I`m thinking of selling my ____ , it`s been restored, shoot me an offer." No price, no location, no detailed description, maybe one blurry pic. :rolleyes:

I figure that a place that has a car for sale and the price is not shown is either embarrassed by the high price being asked or are ashamed of the car. I won't even look at vehicles that don't have the price shown. I can determine if I can afford it or not.
Terry W.

Doesn't bother me personally. If I'm genuinely interested in a certain car/part I have more questions than the price I need answered. Sometimes after these queries are answered the price is reasonable. Sometimes not so much. Different strategies for buying and selling.

Don't have time for tire kickers, or to answer "20" questions, just shoot me an offer.

I agree with @Bennoel 10 . If I am seriously interested in a car with no price I will inquire. Usually in this circumstance, the price is too high but not always. For me, asking price is just a starting point for negotiation anyway. I also agree that many times no price is listed is because it's a stupid high price for what is being offered. I have a buddy selling a car right now and he put vinyl stickers at the top of the windshield and rear glass stating 'for sale' and his phone#. No price, no info. Nobody calls from that. He also printed detailed flyers with complete info and pics, but no price that he leaves under the wiper when parked. Got a couple calls at Hot August Nights but they ended when the callers heard the price, which is too high for the car. What is the price you ask? $30k last month, $25k last week, $27k to the last caller, $28k to the next caller, $22k this week, etc. He's fishing.

When I hear a price that's ridiculously high I'll just say, 'let me know if you decide to sell your car instead of advertise it', and leave it at that.

I made it a rule years ago not to call about any car ad that didn't have a price, as I'd always find it overpriced when I did. Now I'm not sure what I'd do, if I'm looking for a car and something that checks the boxes comes up but no price, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
I have a V code car I have tried to sell off and on for a while and my pet peeves came from the buyers end. Yes I list an ask. But the responses I have gotten have left me so jaded I have all but decided it's less aggravating to pay storage on a car I am not getting any use of, then dealing with people. Other than the scammers, the people who contact me almost without fail after first asking if it's still for sale, ask what the lowest price I'll take. The place to negotiate a price is in person after inspecting the car, in my mind.
So these inquiries go nowhere and I stew about it afterward.
Or the jerkwads who demand a bunch of pictures, then ghost me after I send them a bunch without so much as an acknowledgement that they received them?
How is it best to respond to that? Just say I've got a little room to move, but if you consider my ask unreasonable, then we are wasting each others time, good luck with your hunt!?
Tell them we can negotiate over phone/ email, but if you then come out to see it, the price we came up with is firm, so don't bother trying, or maybe you should wait until you inspect it to talk price?
Just ghost anyone whose second question is bottom dollar, because they irritate me?
Or should I just find a place with a bigger garage and never sell anything? I don't need the money and not being a "people person" accept the fact that I am not cut out for selling cars?
As for the picture collectors, I guess if I list the car again I will tell the ones asking for pictures to come on out and bring your camera, then you can take all the damn pictures you want....

I agree with @Bennoel 10 . If I am seriously interested in a car with no price I will inquire. Usually in this circumstance, the price is too high but not always. For me, asking price is just a starting point for negotiation anyway. I also agree that many times no price is listed is because it's a stupid high price for what is being offered. I have a buddy selling a car right now and he put vinyl stickers at the top of the windshield and rear glass stating 'for sale' and his phone#. No price, no info. Nobody calls from that. He also printed detailed flyers with complete info and pics, but no price that he leaves under the wiper when parked. Got a couple calls at Hot August Nights but they ended when the callers heard the price, which is too high for the car. What is the price you ask? $30k last month, $25k last week, $27k to the last caller, $28k to the next caller, $22k this week, etc. He's fishing.

When I hear a price that's ridiculously high I'll just say, 'let me know if you decide to sell your car instead of advertise it', and leave it at that.

Therein lies the problem- there is no asking price.

They don't have time for question askers, but obviously, you do have time to keep submitting offers.

Auto Transport Service
Back